Respraying petrol resistant lacqure?

This post is 4967 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hi, have just resprayed a petrol tank in Halfords petrol resistant lacquer but feel it needs another coat. The instructions say it cant be re done afterwards but I did a test bit on the underside of the tank and it appears fine. Reluctant to do the rest of the tank until checked with someone who might have done it before. What is supposed to happen when you try to put another coat on, is it safe to try? Phil

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Hi, have just resprayed a petrol tank in Halfords petrol resistant lacquer but feel it needs another coat. The instructions say it cant be re done afterwards but I did a test bit on the underside of the tank and it appears fine. Reluctant to do the rest of the tank until checked with someone who might have done it before. What is supposed to happen when you try to put another coat on, is it safe to try? Phil

Dunno Phil but if it were me I would leave it for at least a month to cure fully, then lightly key it for the new coat.

Dunno Phil but if it were me I would leave it for at least a month to cure fully, then lightly key it for the new coat.

Nooooooooooooo!

It's evil stuff - I made the mistake of wanting to 'improve' the lacquer finish when I painted it. I ended up having to take the tank back to bare metal and start all over again - it acts like nitro-mors on anything sprayed on top :0(

Admittedly I haven't tried over-spraying a year later. If I feel brave enough I might try it and let you know.

:angry:

No even after a year it does not work.I have to spray my RD250 tank again after trying to patch up a chip, it went all crinkly

polish it when it is cured properly

Hmm listen to the voices of experience, I was just guessing and it seems I would have come a cropper also. :o

Thanks for the advice, will leave as it is for a while and then polish as suggested. Ta Phil

• 2 weeks later...

wiseguy lol why does it have to be petrol resistant ,you dont put petrol resistant laquer on cars maybe scratch resistant

Hi, have just resprayed a petrol tank in Halfords petrol resistant lacquer ......

wiseguy lol why does it have to be petrol resistant ,you dont put petrol resistant laquer on cars maybe scratch resistant

It's best to use petrol resistant laquer on a petrol tank, the other stuff disolves ;)

Hi, just to update. Have tried T cutting to get a polished finish and have gone down to the paint coat so looks like starting again from scratch............bugger!! Phil

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online