Dutch XS400 2A2 Caferacer

Hornix
This post is 4501 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

DO you have any pictures or can you explain how you modded the frame to mount the tail? I am interested for my build. thanks!

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.
  • Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Very nice build, if only I could make something half as good I would be in a good position :D

Very nice build, if only I could make something half as good I would be in a good position :D

Thanx for the compliment!

But imho anyone can do this. And don't forget that I sold my '97 ZRX1100 for this project. So the budget wasn't that big a deal ;)

Ah.. But still, even though the budget wasn't a problem the bike you've made is still nice :D

• 2 weeks later...

The grasshopper is upgraded with Newtronic electronic ignition. Runs very good and although it was an easy starter, the XS starts even better now. There is also a new problem I have to fix: replace the starter motor. It makes a realy awfull noise now. I think the internal gears are worn or broken. The noise comes from under the starter motor cover so I hope the starter clutch is OK....

the camera had some troubles to focus on the disco light ;)

• 2 months later...

Ok, I'll give it a try :unsure:

DSCN2867Large.jpg

I mounted the shocks from my SR500 for a test. They give much more comfort than the Boge BMW shocks (that's not rocketscience :P ). Now Í'm able to skip some cafe's during a ride.

The only two things that would look good on my grasshopper (nickname my neighbour gave to the XS) is a spoke wheel in the front...and a spoke wheel in the back. So, if you're willing to sell them..let me know :)

Fantastic job. I love the Aniversary paint job. I will be doing similar to my cafe bike.

Fantastic job. I love the Aniversary paint job. I will be doing similar to my cafe bike.

Thanx!

It is a really fun ride...

http://m.youtube.com/index?desktop_uri=%2F%3Fgl%3DNL%26hl%3Dnl&hl=nl&gl=NL#/watch?v=-Jdf7jlKc10

And when the weather is bad, I give the sr500 some attention :)

IMG_2752.jpg

any ideas about the colours?

I was thinking of a silvergrey frame and dark tankcolour....

Cheers

• 1 month later...

I found a set of downpipes for the caferacer. Mint condition, the add said. After a few hours of cleaning and polishing they look like new. We call it "the cherry on the whipped cream" here in Holland :babyha:

DSCN3392Custom.jpg

• 3 months later...

It's been a long time since I've been here, more a reader than a writer:wink2:

Last week I found a nos Jama 2-in-1 exhaust systeem for the sohc XS400. Brand new, it even came in the original cartboard box, al the parts packted in plastic bags. Costed me €100,-. I had special interest in the headpipes and the collector. The muffler was a typical eighties styled heavy metal thing with a straight cut off black endcap, not my cup of tea. But I also had a new Norton lookalike muffler laying on the shelf for my other cafeproject (SR500 big single). So I mounted this muffler and the Jama kit to the XS and this is the result:

DSCN3469Large.jpg

DSCN3472Large.jpg

DSCN3468Large.jpg

I'm very pleased with it, the grasshopper's voice dropped by a few octaves and it feels like it revvs better and runs smoother, but that can be suggestion due to the different sound. Other benefits are the weightloss of 1 muffler, the fact that I could mount this system completely stressless and the fact that I can take out the rear wheel or adjust the drivechain without having to remove the exhausts.

Happy new year:thumbsup:

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online