Dutch XS400 2A2 Caferacer

Hornix
This post is 4501 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Goodmorning,

I've used thread lock (blue loctite) so the bolt will stay there. I losened the allen bolts at the bottem (they were not that tight) so now I have the fork lowers apart. I'll try the heat trick :)

good, i hope the rest goes as easily :thumb:

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.
  • Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

yesterday I finished the fork renovation. The old rusty stansions are replaced by a set of nos's. New oilseals, forkoil etc. Maybe in the future I'll replace the springs by some progressive ones. Has anyone experiece with them? The forkboots are SR500 types from Kedo.com

Although I was very carefull I scrathed my headlamp housing. :angry:

I was curious how the (new) headlight of my SR500 would look, so I put it in place to see. It will never leave there ;)

In my opinion it looks realy good and it gives a lot more Lux :D

I'm not too worried about the extra power the bulb asks, because I have a LED taillight and this new headlamp hasn't got a small 5 Watt bulb in it.

DSCN2993Medium.jpg

And here's a small impression of the current wire-wheel situation.

The hubs look as new after a treadment with glasspearls, the rear hub has new bearings, front bearings were OK.

The rims are aloy highshoulder ("hoogschouder" we call them in Holland).

DSCN2996Medium.jpg

If you can't see the spokes your monitorsettings are wrong :P

yesterday I finished the fork renovation. The old rusty stansions are replaced by a set of nos's. New oilseals, forkoil etc. Maybe in the future I'll replace the springs by some progressive ones. Has anyone experiece with them? The forkboots are SR500 types from Kedo.com

Although I was very carefull I scrathed my headlamp housing. :angry:

I was curious how the (new) headlight of my SR500 would look, so I put it in place to see. It will never leave there ;)

In my opinion it looks realy good and it gives a lot more Lux :D

I'm not too worried about the extra power the bulb asks, because I have a LED taillight and this new headlamp hasn't got a small 5 Watt bulb in it.

DSCN2993Medium.jpg

And here's a small impression of the current wire-wheel situation.

The hubs look as new after a treadment with glasspearls, the rear hub has new bearings, front bearings were OK.

The rims are aloy highshoulder ("hoogschouder" we call them in Holland).

DSCN2996Medium.jpg

If you can't see the spokes your monitorsettings are wrong :P

I think the red spoked you show look really good!! :D BTW, great job so far.

Looking good!

FYI the spoke set from a '78 rd250/400 D/E are the same part numbers, so might be cheaper/easier to get.

rear; 1J3-25304-01

front; 351-25104-00

Looking good!

FYI the spoke set from a '78 rd250/400 D/E are the same part numbers, so might be cheaper/easier to get.

rear; 1J3-25304-01

front; 351-25104-00

Thanx!

the company that is going to do the wheels make there own spokes. They use a special semi stainless steel metal. So the spokes will not rust and there's less risk of breaking compared to fully stainless steel.

Thanx!

the company that is going to do the wheels make there own spokes. They use a special semi stainless steel metal. So the spokes will not rust and there's less risk of breaking compared to fully stainless steel.

that will be a different grade stainless. the more chrome content the harder/brittle/non rusting it will be!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Finished (alltough caferacers are never finished :rolleyes: ) the wire-wheel conversion today. I'm thrilled with the result. Before drinking my victory-beer I polished a xs400 special points cover to a mirror finish. It was a good day for the Grasshopper and Me :D

DSCN3053Large.jpg

DSCN3052Large.jpg

DSCN3051Large.jpg

DSCN3046Large.jpg

DSCN3037Large.jpg

DSCN3033Large.jpg

wow, fantastic Hornix.

your raising the stakes on this bike and I'm gonna have to match that on me tracker :angry:

Can we have a vid when the weather breaks, of the bike in action?

wow, fantastic Hornix.

your raising the stakes on this bike and I'm gonna have to match that on me tracker :angry:

Can we have a vid when the weather breaks, of the bike in action?

Thanx Drewpy.

And this summer I'll make a vid of the bike&me in action. Lots of speed and noise, the XS runs like the wind, the rider with his Bell helmet, old black leather jacket and googles, lookin nasty with flies in his teeth. I'll give Spielberg a call B)

You've built something quite special there Hornix, will we see you at Squires ? :D

Definately worthy of the coveted 'Sir' pre-fix :)

Sir Hornix of the Netherlands

• 2 weeks later...

You really created something different :hail::hail::thumb:

Wahaha LOL.

That's great man, really fun vid!! Sorry for the slow response :rolleyes:

I made a youtube-walkabout-vid, here it is:

And I also have a question:

What is the correct set-up of the drive chain and sprockets?

I noticed that I have a 37 teeth in the back, but I think 39 would be standard?

I read somewhere that the final drive changed through the years but I can't find it anymore :angry:

yesterday I took the Grasshopper for a 100km spin. It was a blast. It is so much more fun to ride this great twin instead of my previous big fat strong nakeds :D

• 3 weeks later...

Hey Hornix,

Love the cafe! You have done really well with it. I was looking at the dutch site too and couldnt understand the words but loved the pictures! I especially love the seat, where did you get it? Your bike at the start is crazy similar to my xs400. Same paint except mine has the sissy bar, extended handlebars and a shorty exhaust. I hope to change all of that soon.

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online