DT 175 MX Electrics Again!

This post is 4951 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Well, have tried with low wattage bulbs all round, still same problem. Tried a new earth from the rear light, another earth from the battery, still no change. I'm going to just take the indicators off and get the MoT, then shove them back on, and try to enjoy what's left of the summer on the bike. Nice weather up here at the moment!

Thanks for every :) bodies help.

Paul

I'm wondering...is your fuse holder and associated bullet connector corroded?

Give us a shout when you want to try again Paul.

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Well back with another strange update. Took the indicators off and put lights and everything back in it's place prior to getting MoTd, and discovered that the brake lights will not come on when the lights are on! They used to! They work perfectly without the lights but nothing when they're on. The only thing I had done was put a new rear brake light switch on last week, so duely wired up the old one again but still the same. I hadn't bothered leaving the front side light in as it's not required so tried it back in again. Even put the indicator relay back on just in case. I cannot think why this is happening. They worked perfectly with the ights on a week ago, but not now.

Any help appreciated

Paul

unplug the rear brake switch.

Place voltmeter black lead on a good ground...or battery negative.

Check you have 6v at the brown (loom side) connector with the ignition on and lights off.

Now is there still 6v at this connector with the lights switched on?

Well happy news for a change. Tried what you suggested Paul to see what voltage was flowing and then proceeded to go round and check everything again. Everything as it was so had a look at the tail lamp bulb, took it out and re-inserted and hey presto I have a rear light and a brake light working as they should. Having messed about with the bulb it seems that there's a very strange connection within the light housing. It's not the normal bayonet socket you would expect, doesn't seem to hold the bulb correctly. You think that the bulb is in, but give it another twist and it comes out. It's not the original lamp fitting anyway so was on my list to change when I find one. Unfortunately it appears impossible to remove without drilling/hacksawing as I did have a look at it when I first got the bike and it's totally corroded on. Mind you that doesn't explain why I could't get brake and tail lights functioning together!

Anyway as my father, who spent all his life fixing cars is always saying, check the simple things first!!

Not sure if this helps, but I was having some similar problems with my dt175. The headlight, then the turn signals, nothing seemed to work then sometimes they would. You probably have a similar product over there, but I got a can of electrical contact cleaner and took apart all the switches. The switches on both sides were heavily coroded. After some spraying and light cleaning with a wire brush/fine sandpaper all the problems went away.

Good luck.

I think I've got some electrical issues to sort on the DT175MX I'm rebuilding. I haven't got the engine fully built yet, so can't test the headlights, but at present, when the light switch is in the off position, and the key in the second position, the instrument lights are on. And when I turn the switch on, the lights go out!

"Not sure if this helps, but I was having some similar problems with my dt175. The headlight, then the turn signals, nothing seemed to work then sometimes they would. You probably have a similar product over there, but I got a can of electrical contact cleaner and took apart all the switches. The switches on both sides were heavily coroded. After some spraying and light cleaning with a wire brush/fine sandpaper all the problems went away."

Thanks for the suggestion but I did actually have all the switches apart and cleaned when I first got the bike and all the contacts seem to be fine. I've now got a lingering feeling that the problem lies in the tail lamp somewhere, unfortunately I would have to cut it off so that'll have to wait until I can get a new one.

I got it MoTd yesterday with the indicators off so I'm just going to put them back on now as the tail lamp flashing isn't as bad as the front light was.

"I think I've got some electrical issues to sort on the DT175MX I'm rebuilding. I haven't got the engine fully built yet, so can't test the headlights, but at present, when the light switch is in the off position, and the key in the second position, the instrument lights are on. And when I turn the switch on, the lights go out!"

Good luck! One thing I did discover on mine was that all the instrument lights were in the wrong place, someone had replaced blubs at one time but didn't pay attention when they put them back, sof ull beam appeared to be on but was in actual fact the neutral indicator! etc etc

• 2 weeks later...

Ok then, electrics again!

I'm rebuilding/refreshing an 81 DT175MX. The clocks that came with it are chrome, and from the earlier model. When I turn the lights on, the headlight works fine, but the instrument lights don't. When I turn the lights off, the instrument lights come on. So either A) there is some wiring that is arse about face, else B) the earlier clocks are not compatible.

Any bright ideas anyone?

Cheers

Lee