DT pattern pistons

This post is 5007 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Just rebuilding a 81 DT175MX, and will be popping in some fresh pistons and rings. I see there are plenty of pattern piston kits on ebay, but does anyone know if there is more than one pattern piston brand? If so, any brands to go for, or avoid?

I have only ever used pattern piston years ago when I raced proddy RD400's, and they rattled so much I reverted to OEM straight away.

Cheers

Lee

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Pattern Rd pistons are designed to run in the watercooled rd,s as well, they are rattly cos the lc eniones run hotter and the pistons expand more, OE is the best bet, but if not Matika or Wiseco PJME will be the people to contact especially if it needs a rebore as well

Hi, Granbys sell original i believe but only to limited number of oversizes. Yambits sell patern in more oversizes and they seem ok to me though i have melted holes in a few and had one seize couple of months back but causes were more likely to be my fault ie wrong jets and ? lubrication failure. (I dont appear to be having much luck recently!) Good luck with your choice. Phil

Lee, I have been researching pistons this week , my DT200 is ready for a rebore. Pattern ones like Matika (Taiwan )are cheap but seem to be a risk . I have decided to pay more and go for either OEM or Wossner , the Wossner are forged and get good reviews the site is in German /English and gives prices for pistons and piston kits , there are plenty of dealers in UK

I would not like to ride thinking the piston might give up on me .

Bob