Yamaha SR 125 Forks will not come apart

Derek Herbert
This post is 2944 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

I am trying to renew the Fork seals on my 97 Yamaha SR 125. I have removed the circlip and washer and the Haynes manual then says I need to hold the fork body in a soft vice and forecably remove the ram from the housing. The thing will not budge, am i missing something. I have tried heating up the housing, burning out the old rubber seal in the process. I have even rigged up a pulling system with a Garden Post, Garden Wall, Rope and a pulley system. To say I put the ram under a lot of pressure to remove it from the housing is an understatement. The ram will not budge from the housing, what am I missing?

Derek Herbert

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

hI..You have to empty the oil out first to have any chance of seperating them , You should lower the forks a few inches in the yoke retighten pinch bolt ,undo top bolt then empty oil, & remove spring ect.

put the flat bottom of leg in a soft faced vice or with blocks of wood & ram them out like slide hammer action .

Edit. when I say top bolt not the one that hold forks in I mean the bung that is threaded in the top of tube ,though some Srs just have a O ring at the top that is sealed by the top bolts ,there are no bolts at the bottom of these forks . ok R

is there a bolt underneath the forks, i am not familiar with these exact forks but have done other yamahas. if there is a bolt underneath it will just turn freely as you need to make a tool to go down the tube to hold the inner fork still. as i said i am not sure this is true in your case.

• 5 years later...

Hi. I know this is an old thread but if like me you need an answer to the question i was stumped by mine today as the forks were different to the haynes manual.

After removing the fork from the bike i slid the dust cover off. Removed circlip and washer from ontop of the seal. Then look at the very top of the fork and there are two slight cut outs approx 22mm in width. I clamped the top part of the fork in a soft vice and unscrewed it. Be careful at the end as the nut is under load from the internal spring. Oil will now come out. Stand up the fork and remove metal tube, washer and spring. Then hold the lower stantion and slam the upper from the lower several times like a slide hammer and the seal will pop out. Cont.......

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

Cont......

Place to one side and then remove internal plunger from bottom stantion. Clean all parts as best you can removing all old oil. Once clean re-assemble in reverse order but add a thin coat of fresk fork oil to all metal parts first. In order to get the new seal below the circlip line i placed the old seal on top of the new one and then tapped it home turning the fork as i did. Once home replace washer and circlip. Fill with oil. Replace spring washer and tube and then screw the top back on. All done.

Msg me if any questions. Good luck.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online