Am I turning into a grumpy old bast...rd

Gas up - Let's Go!
This post is 4640 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

i joined, not to get answers but to try to help others. after years of having to fix my own bikes i thought my knowledge would be of some help to younger less experienced riders. so my first post was an answer, and yes i am guilty of not introducing myself. i thought i would have more to offer but most questions are bike specific and there seems to be a few members that have a wider knowledge than i do. but as we are on the subject, my name is chris im from essex a couple of miles from london, i always had bikes for years until the kids were born. now i have been riding again for the last 5 years now the kids have grown up, and i am having a mid life crisis hence the yzf 750r. i have nearly always had two strokes but find the bigger ones two expensive now so have to make do with what i have got.

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.
  • Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i joined, not to get answers but to try to help others. after years of having to fix my own bikes i thought my knowledge would be of some help to younger less experienced riders. so my first post was an answer, and yes i am guilty of not introducing myself. i thought i would have more to offer but most questions are bike specific and there seems to be a few members that have a wider knowledge than i do. but as we are on the subject, my name is chris im from essex a couple of miles from london, i always had bikes for years until the kids were born. now i have been riding again for the last 5 years now the kids have grown up, and i am having a mid life crisis hence the yzf 750r. i have nearly always had two strokes but find the bigger ones two expensive now so have to make do with what i have got.

Welcome Chris,  B).

I think you are in the minority with the reasons behind why you joined, so this thread isn't really aimed at people like yourself  ;)

Nice choice of midlife crisis btw.

Don't be worried about getting stuck in with the advice/helping, a second opinion is always good.

Vez.

Don't be worried about getting stuck in with the advice/helping, a second opinion is always good.

Right on!!

Besides, despite my attitude and smartass posts like the Lightsabre one above, I don't know everything and there's plenty like you who'll know more than me!!

Hell, someone once asked how many spokes there were on a Dragstar wheel - I just went outside and counted!! :lol:

someone asked how long the inner exup cable was on a yzf 750, but there was no way i was going to dismantle my bike to find out, so i didnt reply in case they managed to talk me into it.

Hi again,

Been watching the forum for a while now and thinking that I probably just started by asking a question relating to the bunch of bolts that I had in the garage. I'm not really bothered by that approach myself but sorry if that's the case. Can't remember. Either way it's been really good in that my bike is on the road and in no small part due to the questions, answers and contributions to this forum. Over time you get to see a little of people's personality and pick up on other stuff that makes this quite a social forum and that's been great too. I have to think a bit about developing social connections through the computer (I'm not into Twitface etc.) but it's great to be able to connect to a few people all over the world who have a common interest. Being whatever the hell generation I am, I would much rather prefer to say hi over a beer, cup of tea, whatever. Can't say that there are many oppportunities to do that being in Australia but look forward to reading about when some of you get together. That will have to do until I can manage a visit sometime or if someone turns up with a trail bike close to where I live.

Hope you're enjoying the summer and ride safe........

Gordo

Hey, that nice of you to say so Gordo, this site is much better than twitface because of the common interest and good natured humour, we have had a good summer this year up to now, hence the hose pipe ban in my area, that will no doubt last until winter :rolleyes:

+1 on the ride safe.

...Paul

i joined, not to get answers but to try to help others. <snip>...... so my first post was an answer,

This kind of thing doesn't bother me in the slightest, in fact I think it's the kind of thing that makes a forum. The fact is, on here, most serious questions are based on older stuff/strokers etc, then there is the 'how to ride better' questions. It's guys who post a single post such as "how do I make my 50cc bike do 150mph?" question on thier first post.......

Welcome Chris,  B).

..<snip>... so this thread isn't really aimed at people like yourself  ;)

Just like he says.

I don't know everything

Can I quote that ?

Opps, already did!

this site is much better than twitface because of the common interest and good natured humour,

B)

My first post was a question, but honestly because I never would have found this forum had I not been online searching for an answer to that problem. Most forums I've been on have some type of introduction section for new members. I think it's just some sort of an ice breaker for people.

Since finding the forum I read a lot of topics, I'm not one to reply to every single thing though. I try and wait until there's a good opportunity for input so someone isn't reading through 10 pages of useless info looking for that one special response. Just my 2 cents.

My first post was a question, but honestly because I never would have found this forum had I not been online searching for an answer to that problem. Most forums I've been on have some type of introduction section for new members. I think it's just some sort of an ice breaker for people.

Since finding the forum I read a lot of topics, I'm not one to reply to every single thing though. I try and wait until there's a good opportunity for input so someone isn't reading through 10 pages of useless info looking for that one special response. Just my 2 cents.

A perfect example...

One can only presume one is from the United States of America, am I correct?

Two giveaways,

(1) You have a XJ600S, I presume that stands for Seca?

(2) You ended with "Just my 2 cents."

Wouldn't it be easier to put it into your profile? i.e. my name is Bond, James Bond. Not a lot of people know that that. Actually that was Michael Caine.

I have mentioned it in a previous topic that it would be nice to know who we are responding to, male/female, where from, age?

As so many regulars have said, "This is a community" So, let's get to know all the members of the "community"

Yes, XJ600 is American talk for a Seca. You're fairly observant lol And honestly, I thought I did put info on my profile, I guess I didn't. I will do that now.

@Cynic: I'm not sure if that's a shot at me or just one of the types of posts that irritates you. I can see how a question with such a blatantly obvious answer would cause some frustration, but it's all a part of the internet unfortunately.

Yes, XJ600 is American talk for a Seca. You're fairly observant lol And honestly, I thought I did put info on my profile, I guess I didn't. I will do that now.

@Cynic: I'm not sure if that's a shot at me or just one of the types of posts that irritates you. I can see how a question with such a blatantly obvious answer would cause some frustration, but it's all a part of the internet unfortunately.

Absoloutly not a shot at you, purely an example that appeared as i was on the puter.

I know it narks Tskmaster......

Newbies, on thier first post, is it realy too much to say "hello my name is xxxxx, I ride a xxx, I have 11 toes and a 3inch willy" or something similar?

There have been a plethora of post in the last few days, first post from these people are problems.

or am I just a grumpy old bast....rd :angry:

Not too much to ask.

Hi. I'm a newbie. My name is Chris. I have wanted a dirtbike since I was a kid and now that my son has started asking for one, I have recently purchased a number of older Yamahas and having a great time learning. I currently own a 1976 GT80, a 1980 MX80, a 1977 DT100 and a 1980 DT125. The 80's are working well, the DT100 needs some carb adjustment (idle speed) and the rear brake sticks. The DT125 now just needs a throttle cable and I can hopefully start riding that one as well.

Sorry, only 10 toes, but my willy isn't much more than 3inch. :)

Sorry, only 10 toes, but my willy isn't much more than 3inch. :)

:lol::eusa_clap:

Welcome along, maybe you've started a new introduction .........

We'll I kinda like

Can we just turn up and do this, or should we introduce ourselves first ?

Hi Im Andy lets get on B) Would that do :D

WHATS ALL THIS SHOUTING?, WE'LL HAVE NO TROUBLE HERE

Lol! This is a local post for local people! There's nothing for you here!

I know it narks Tskmaster......

Newbies, on thier first post, is it realy too much to say "hello my name is xxxxx, I ride a xxx, I have 11 toes and a 3inch willy" or something similar?

There have been a plethora of post in the last few days, first post from these people are problems.

or am I just a grumpy old bast....rd :angry:

Hi, my names Liam, I'm getting a ybr125 on Friday and I can't wait.

I posted on the bar this morning. A post called new born. How was that?

I posted on the bar this morning.

..<snip>...

. How was that?

Puuuurrrfect.

Doesn't take much and it makes it a much nicer place to be..... now pass me my rose tinted spec's

I think I said "aye up" when I first signed in to YOC , Then followed up with a few dumb posts that i'd rather forget. & i have replied to a few that I bet some thought what the f**k is he on about . I'm only relearning myself & sometimes put my foot in it , then I think after , "I hope I haven't killed his bike" or cost him a fortune :unsure: with a dumb answer especialy if they have said ,hello i'm not going to sue you if you fk up , But hope I may have helped one or two ?

Anyone who has never made a mistake , has never tried anything new.

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online