Snapped Cam Shaft

Wavey Davey
This post is 4998 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Now I know it is not everyones cup of tea, but I have been riding a BT1100 bulldog (02 Plate) for 4 years now, it is great fun and I have become emotionally attached to it - it has caused much marital discord at home!! Sadly it became rather unwell recently when the starter clutch seized, this was repeaired in time for the IOM TT but sadly whilst over the pond she failed again. and the AA had to get me back home. When it was taken apart I was informed that the cam shaft had snapped. Has anyone else had this heppen to them and could this be linked to the worked done on the starter clutch (completed by a Yamaha dealer using genuine parts)? As it occured 3 days after the yamaha dealer completed the starter clutchI cannot but feel a little suspicious.

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Now I know it is not everyones cup of tea, but I have been riding a BT1100 bulldog (02 Plate) for 4 years now, it is great fun and I have become emotionally attached to it - it has caused much marital discord at home!! Sadly it became rather unwell recently when the starter clutch seized, this was repeaired in time for the IOM TT but sadly whilst over the pond she failed again. and the AA had to get me back home. When it was taken apart I was informed that the cam shaft had snapped. Has anyone else had this heppen to them and could this be linked to the worked done on the starter clutch (completed by a Yamaha dealer using genuine parts)? As it occured 3 days after the yamaha dealer completed the starter clutchI cannot but feel a little suspicious.

I have a 05 Bulldog and have just returned from touring Europe, a fine motorcycle. I have never heard of a cam shaft breaking. I would of thought that the cam chain should break first.

yeah id have to agree it sounds a little fishy that the cam "shaft" has gone b4 the chain normally they last forever! are you sure its the cam and not the crank? its more likely the crank shaft has gone then the cam shaft!

i snapped a cam on a honda cb 900 closing the throttle sharply whilst speeding on a motorway. so it can just happen, but i would still be suspicious of the work done. i would take it back and blame them anyway what have you got to lose.

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online