Silly Question

johnsnownw
This post is 5019 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

I'm going to go ahead and assume that the exhaust valves are on the front of the engine, and the intake ones are facing the carbs. However, assuming doesn't always work out so well, so can someone confirm this for me.

Thanks.

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

There is no such thing as a silly question.

Quite often people say "I know this is a silly question, but."

What might seem silly to you, someone else will think it is very logical.

There is no such thing as a silly question.

Quite often people say "I know this is a silly question, but."

What might seem silly to you, someone else will think it is very logical.

I have one more question then. Does the alternator cover have a gasket behind it?

I have one more question then. Does the alternator cover have a gasket behind it?

yes

Here's one (or more): Can I use a make-my-own paper gasket from "Gasket Material" for alternator cover? The label reads "for automotive, industrial ... DO NOT EXCEED 350 (177) TEMPERATURE.

Also can I use the same for clutch cover?? Oil strain/sump cover???

yep that's no problem for either applicaion and it'll work out cheaoer

yep that's no problem for either applicaion and it'll work out cheaoer

Thanks for the quick response, so can I have more or is there a limit? :blush:

Permatex "Gasket Sealant"s and "Gasket Maker"s, Blue, Black, Grey, Copper, Magenta :icon_confused:

A link here for my own reference My link but what are some favorites for all varieties of applications, no pun intended.

***Main Question: I have Ultra Copper for my case halfs and assume that will be a-ok, or is there a better?

thought you were making a paper gasket, not spreading goo on it!

that will still work, but i used to (before i had money) use cornflake packets for low pressure gaskets ;)

I've been told to eat more bran actually but yea, Drewpy I cut out some gaskets discarding what was left of the old ones. Wasn't sure about using for clutch cover, but now I know. Then there's the case itself and if I rem. Haynes says sealant or goo, not metal, cork, paper

edit: oh, about inquiring as to diff uses of all the products, just out of curiosity mostly, and thought someone could input on what color they use for what.

for the split cases i used wellseal, i swear by the stuff as you can get a tiny flat brush and apply it bothside really thinly.

I also have 3 bond in grey, i bit like yamabond only cheaper. too thick for my liking and hard to apply as it strings when lifting off the surface.

wonder of wonders, I had at some time past gone to trouble of copy/pasting to Notepad part of an old post to remind myself of good solid and wise advice. The key words wellseal and 3 bond jogged memory of this, as follows

there isn't any.

think about it, you have the camshaft running in two halves and with gaps measured in the thou'. why would they ( yamaha)stick a 1-3mm gasket in there which squishes to whatever the gasket wants?

you even have to ensure the top cover and cyl head have the same machining numbers or you'll have a seized camshaft.

there are 2 schools of thought on sealing this;

1) use nothing and ensure all surfaces are spotless and true

2) use yamaha herme seal/wellseal very very sparingly ( as in official yam service manual)

i have done both and ATM have the wellseal on with no probs

drewps

use Yamaha 3 or 3 bond, same stuff just without/the yamaha logo on it.

This is the actual specified sealant.

Wellseal is best used with paper gaskets - it the best stuff for eliminating misty base gaskets.

So the Ultra-Copper Permatex prob. not the way to go, wish I still had the receipt.

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online