ANYBODY DRILLED XVS 1300 SILENCER

eggar
This post is 4634 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hi, has anybody drilled the centre of a xvs 1300 silencer and how did you find the bike performed afterwards ? also i've just clocked 3000 miles since i bought it in march, very pleased with it except for a noisy engine under load, took it to the dealer and they said it was normal, one thing i've found about it is it does not like town work in low revs, have to keep revs up in low gears or it's too lumpy, cheers

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

iv done it on a few 125s but that was just to improve the sound, but why would you want to do it on a 1300?? if it did anything to the performance then you would need to re-jet the carbs.

Hi, has anybody drilled the centre of a xvs 1300 silencer and how did you find the bike performed afterwards ? also i've just clocked 3000 miles since i bought it in march, very pleased with it except for a noisy engine under load, took it to the dealer and they said it was normal, one thing i've found about it is it does not like town work in low revs, have to keep revs up in low gears or it's too lumpy, cheers

i chose not to drill my 1300 stock pipe, ive fitted cobra speedster shorts, drilled the airbox and fitted a K and N FILTER AND A COBRA FI2000 CL FUEL PROCESSOR, the exhaust change sorted the engine noise...its now that loud i can hardly hear it LOL, i personally think it sounds better than a harley. As for the bike not liking low revs around town, i found as stock, it runs weak and at low revs was surging and lurching, my exhaust and processor 'almost' got rid of that BUT, this isnt an engine with good low down torque.

For a 1300 V twin it needs to be revved, even now i find myself doing 25 in first, 35 in 2nd, 45 in 3th, 55 in fourth, and then into top gear, when i'm in a 30 limit, i'm always in 2nd gear or the engine isnt comfortable IMHO and feels like its gonna start lugging, and if i'm in a 40 limit i'm usually in 3rd, 50 limit i'm usually in 4th for the same reasons, i only go into 5th at a minimum speed of 55, i get at least 50 mpg all the time. if you want a big V twin that'll pull from walking pace in 2nd gear THIS isnt the engine, unless you slip the clutch ...which leads me on to my MAIN 'niggle'... turning into side roads at slow speed...you either have to change down into first !!!, or turn in in 2nd gear, if you do the latter you have to slip the clutch or the engine lugs REALLY BADLY which is a real shame, i wonder if it could be geared better, other than thew gearing i'm very pleased with the bike

hope this helps

want to know something wierd? thats exactly how the 125 rides, would of thaught bigger engine = more torque and speed but from what you just said its exactly the same lol :blink:

know what you mean midnight61, it is hard work at low speeds but at high speed cuising i don't think there is a better bike, i thought about different pipes but after the layout on buying new they will have to wait. i have now drilled the silencer and it has made a difference both in sound and a bit smoother at low speeds, incendently i manage between 55 and 60 mpg 2 up at steady speeds, cheers

hey Eggar, haven't done mine although considering it (that or a slipon) but you may want to read this: http://1300tourer.com/content/drilling-exhaust-0 - not only a guide on how to do it, but loads of opinions at the bottom from people that have done it.

Also a quick search on youtube for V Star 1300 exhaust will brin up people showing you how to do it & also let you listen to the different sounds.

You may also be interested in the O2 mod () but I still find I need to slip the clutch when cornering at low speeds...

Graham

Hi Graham, i went right through the 1300 tourer forum before i decided to do it and looked at youtube vids as well, i am pleased i did it because it has made a difference but eventually i will have some different pipes on but i don't think anything will cure having to slip the clutch at low speeds, i had to do it on my harley as well, just a minor irritation i can put up with when i can travel miles in comfort while watching some of the sporties i sometimes ride with stretching there legs and arms after a few miles. lol. cheers

Hi Eggar, glad the links helped... is it worth doing??? I've ran out of cash for my bike now but figure this is one mod that's relatively free!!!

well worth doing,it gives the bike a nice sound that is neighbour friendly and i didn't see one negative coment from people who had done it. it is easy to do as well once you get the right tools which is a 25 ml quality hole cutter with 12 in extension or what i did was weld a 1/2 in drillbit to some bar ( make sure the 2 are staight !!!! ) and dill 3 holes, took about a minute to do with a good quality bit and you get instant proper v twin sound that's not too loud. i've also done about 500 miles since and there appears to be a little more smoothness at low speeds and i still get between 55 and 60 mpg, go for it, cheers

• 11 months later...

Yep, drilled mine out, fabulous improvement! cost £100 with shipping because 12" isn't long enough, I had a hole cutter made up for me, it's for sale if you are interested, I also fitted an o2 sensor eliminator, that improves the running as well, well worth the £15!

Regards

Graham

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online