XS360 Air filter advice...

spacemanps
This post is 5021 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

So i was looking at my air filters (r and l) and the previous owner ghetto rigged a new filter with new material and hot glue... So i was thinking is there any one that has seen some sort of mod i can do so i dont have to go buy the stock air filters (which are impossible to find, or realllly expensive) I was thinking of using pot filters and just strapping them to the carbs, but i have that whole battery separating the two air filter gaps.

any one got any ideas?

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

So i was looking at my air filters (r and l) and the previous owner ghetto rigged a new filter with new material and hot glue... So i was thinking is there any one that has seen some sort of mod i can do so i dont have to go buy the stock air filters (which are impossible to find, or realllly expensive) I was thinking of using pot filters and just strapping them to the carbs, but i have that whole battery separating the two air filter gaps.

any one got any ideas?

What he did is the mod most people use. Not sure what kind of material he glued on, but most people use air filter foam and wrap it around the air filter screen.

If you are wanting to change to pod filter you will more than likely have to re-jet the carbs. Some have done this with their bikes here, and I'm sure they'll come along and give you their :twocents: as well.

What he did is the mod most people use. Not sure what kind of material he glued on, but most people use air filter foam and wrap it around the air filter screen.

If you are wanting to change to pod filter you will more than likely have to re-jet the carbs. Some have done this with their bikes here, and I'm sure they'll come along and give you their :twocents: as well.

i hope someone will come alone with pics :rolleyes: would be greatly helpfull!

bump for some help?

I really don't think that you will have much trouble fitting the pod filters to your bike. I believe the only issue will be re-jetting the carbs. Why don't you purchase 2 sets of jets bigger than the ones you have, and just try both to see what gives you the best result. You can purchase everything you need from MikesXS.com

John's right, you'll need to rejet with the pods. And if you're using the battery box, you'll need to attach the pods to the airbox connector (that weird rubber thing in between the airbox and the carbs), it gives you more space for the battery between the filters.

John's right, you'll need to rejet with the pods. And if you're using the battery box, you'll need to attach the pods to the airbox connector (that weird rubber thing in between the airbox and the carbs), it gives you more space for the battery between the filters.

You by any chance know off the top of your head what diameter that weird rubber thing is.. i was going to pull the lil metal neck off the filter and put the pod on there and then slip that into the plastic thing..

edit, pretty sure its 45mm.... (guess its a hard filter size to find compared to others)

You by any chance know off the top of your head what diameter that weird rubber thing is.. i was going to pull the lil metal neck off the filter and put the pod on there and then slip that into the plastic thing..

edit, pretty sure its 45mm.... (guess its a hard filter size to find compared to others)

Yup, I think that you can purchase the 54mm pod filters and they will fit. Someone has done this and it worked, though I cannot remember who.

Yup, I think that you can purchase the 54mm pod filters and they will fit. Someone has done this and it worked, though I cannot remember who.

Wont that be too much gap? 45 vs 54?

Wont that be too much gap? 45 vs 54?

You would think, but no. I'll try searching for the thread that explains all this.

EDIT: Here you go, this thread has the info.

You would think, but no. I'll try searching for the thread that explains all this.

EDIT: Here you go, this thread has the info.

I also just checked bikebandit.com, and they list the same air filter for my bike, your bike and the bike in the above thread. So if the pods fit his bike, they should most certainly fit yours.

I also just checked bikebandit.com, and they list the same air filter for my bike, your bike and the bike in the above thread. So if the pods fit his bike, they should most certainly fit yours.

he writes that the pod ripped.. im not sure if getting a over sized one would be the best move, but i think i have found some where to get 45mm pod filters...

but any one know what size jets are on a stock xs360 carb??

he writes that the pod ripped.. im not sure if getting a over sized one would be the best move, but i think i have found some where to get 45mm pod filters...

That's why he said to go with the Uni filters, as they are built better.

XS360

Main jet: 135

Air jet: .06

Jet Needle: 4FP21-3

Needle Jet: X-6

Needle Position: 3

Throttle Valve: 145

Pilot Jet: 17.5

Starter Jet: 40

Air Screw (number of turns out) 1 to 1.5

I'm not sure which 360 you have, but here's the page to figure it out.

Looks like there were several different jets used for it that year.

I would suggest taking it apart and verifying first hand which jets you have.

When I did pods on my 400, I bought 1 bigger pilot, and 2 bigger mains. I used the bigger pilot, and 1 size bigger mains. Bike runs pretty good with this setup. I'm also running stock exhaust. I think if I open up the exhaust I might need to step up the mains 1 more size.

I also mounted the pods directly to the carbs, and still have my stock battery box. I used EMGO pods though, not the mikesxs ones.

I'm not sure which 360 you have, but here's the page to figure it out.

Looks like there were several different jets used for it that year.

I would suggest taking it apart and verifying first hand which jets you have.

When I did pods on my 400, I bought 1 bigger pilot, and 2 bigger mains. I used the bigger pilot, and 1 size bigger mains. Bike runs pretty good with this setup. I'm also running stock exhaust. I think if I open up the exhaust I might need to step up the mains 1 more size.

I also mounted the pods directly to the carbs, and still have my stock battery box. I used EMGO pods though, not the mikesxs ones.

There was no page linked... ???

I am planning on connecting the pods to the spliter thing that connects to the carbs.. and a 45mm filter will connect to that (i measured) im thinking i will have to take the carb apart to see what jets i need... well that is after i put the pods on and run into any leaning issues..

im pretty much all stock as well

http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/2/9/427/7841/ITEM/Uni-Air-Filter-Clamp-On-Pod-Filter.aspx?sst=RR|7841

those any good?

There was no page linked... ???

I am planning on connecting the pods to the spliter thing that connects to the carbs.. and a 45mm filter will connect to that (i measured) im thinking i will have to take the carb apart to see what jets i need... well that is after i put the pods on and run into any leaning issues..

im pretty much all stock as well

http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/2/9/427/7841/ITEM/Uni-Air-Filter-Clamp-On-Pod-Filter.aspx?sst=RR|7841

those any good?

i'm runnig the uni filter's on mine . there well made and work fine . i tried the one's from mikesXS. the rubber was cheap. i'm willing to bet you will for shure have to re-jet

btw you can also get a prefilter sock for the uni's

Edited by dtmf

I decided to just order a set of pod filters (45mm) from ebay someone was selling... 20 bucks.. worked out good. Im going to change my exhaust and do the pods, then see how lean it runs, and depending on that, depends on what jets and to what extent i change it to. (im running rich right now any way... soooo we will see how it ends up..)

But thank god i decided to replace a few things on this bike, esp handlebars... the throttle cable was fraying and was holding on by the last 3-4 strands and finally snapped when we were timing the new points... would have been SOL on random day.

4831734902_bdea76b791.jpg

So i recent switched to pod filters. I kept the stock splitter thing and attached the pods to that little extension that is connected to the carb.

I used the metal neck on the stock air filters to be able to connect the pods to the splitter thing..

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online