DT125R - Two Stroke Beginner!

This post is 5034 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hello all

New to the forums and hopefully a long term member!

I have just bought today a 1998 DT125R, in good condition, unfortunately the chap I have bought it off is as much as a novice as me and therefore couldn't answer my questions. I could do with some answers! I'm sorry if these sound really stupid but I have never ridden a two stroke before!

Where does the two stroke oil go?

What is the best kind of two stroke oil to use?

Do I need to mix the fuel with any oil - if so, what are te quantities?

Where can I get replacement panels? (one is cracked)

What regular maintenance is required?

Where is the best place to buy spares?

Anything I should be aware of? (I know very little!)

If anyone can help it would be greatly received, I have a Haynes manual on order and it should be here in a couple of days but in order to collect I'm going to need to fuel it!

Thanks.

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Hello all

I have just bought today a 1998 DT125R, in good condition, unfortunately the chap I have bought it off is as much as a novice as me and therefore couldn't answer my questions. I could do with some answers! I'm sorry if these sound really stupid but I have never ridden a two stroke before!

If anyone can help it would be greatly received, I have a Haynes manual on order and it should be here in a couple of days but in order to collect I'm going to need to fuel it!

Thanks.

hey choc teapot,

I can't say I know too much about things myself, but I've found to be pretty good when it comes to spares and replacements. They also have a variety of different 2 stroke oils listed.

hope this helps a little!

Hello all

Thanks.

Hi Chocolate Teapot, welcome to the forum  B)

The clear-ish plastic tank to the front right side of the fuel tank, with the black cap.

Best kind of oil will depend who you ask. I would suggest a semi synthetic such as http://www.opieoils....otorcycles.aspx ( i use fully synthetic, but the advantages are debatable). Also paid up members of the forum get a discount at opie oils  ;)

No that what the 2-stroke oil/tank is for, pre-mix is usually used on 2-stroke racing bikes or bikes that don't have a 2-stroke oil pump fitted.

Ebay is your friend, what panel and colour do you need as i can look out for one for you?

Refer to the manual.   :)

I can second  wemoto, usually very quick delivery. Also  http://www.pjme.co.u...aha_DT125R.html    and    http://www.mandp.co....tsperpage=10000  ( again paid up member of the forum get a discount at M&P too)

Well, theres a question.  Never talk to strangers. look both ways when crossing the road and never trust a fart   :P.

Ok, all i can think of is use a good grade unleaded fuel ( look for a high RON rating on the pump). Look after your bike and it will look after you.

What does concern me is that the previous owner couldn't tell you where to put the 2-stroke oil :blink:

HTH

Vez.

Hi Chocolate Teapot, welcome to the forum  B)

The clear-ish plastic tank to the front right side of the fuel tank, with the black cap.

Best kind of oil will depend who you ask. I would suggest a semi synthetic such as http://www.opieoils....otorcycles.aspx ( i use fully synthetic, but the advantages are debatable). Also paid up members of the forum get a discount at opie oils  ;)

No that what the 2-stroke oil/tank is for, pre-mix is usually used on 2-stroke racing bikes or bikes that don't have a 2-stroke oil pump fitted.

Ebay is your friend, what panel and colour do you need as i can look out for one for you?

Refer to the manual.   :)

I can second  wemoto, usually very quick delivery. Also  http://www.pjme.co.u...aha_DT125R.html    and    http://www.mandp.co....tsperpage=10000  ( again paid up member of the forum get a discount at M&P too)

Well, theres a question.  Never talk to strangers. look both ways when crossing the road and never trust a fart   :P.

Ok, all i can think of is use a good grade unleaded fuel ( look for a high RON rating on the pump). Look after your bike and it will look after you.

What does concern me is that the previous owner couldn't tell you where to put the 2-stroke oil :blink:

HTH

Vez.

Cheers! He didn't know where it goes because he bought it 6 months ago and never used it, passed it's MOT with a new carburttor yesterday so it should be good to go!

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online