non-starting dt125

NEwin
This post is 4945 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

I dunno but its always worth a try read this Here

If it isnt you wont get it started, I expect it is

well that will tell you there is some compression, you could hardly tell the difference by putting oil in by that method though :rolleyes:

Best way is a compression tester, a bit difficult with these bikes though (not much room)

Compression3MBHead.jpg

ok, will try to bump start, although the nearest hill isn't really that near (especially considering I'll have to push the bike over there) so it'll probably have to wait until early next week. Is it enough to push it along the ground (will this get enough speed up)? Actually, come to think of it, how exactly do you bump start something? Do I just kick it over whilst it's in motion, or do I have to do something with the clutch?

with regards to the compression, if the compression is bad, is it just a case of replacing a few gaskets, or is it gonna be something more involved? I'm just trying to determine whether it's worth buying a compression tester, or whether it's just worth assuming the compression is bad, and then doing whatever work is needed.

cheers.

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Its a shame you dont have any hills near you, something I take for granted here. Best get two of your mates. Ignition on, select third gear you on the bike holding clutch in, choke on and just a crack of throttle opening. mates shove and when going at a good speed you let out the clutch, be careful the bike doesnt shoot off with you if it goes, mates continue to push until its running or they collapse...whichever happens first If it doesnt even fire, check for spark again and take note if the plug is wet with fuel.

fingers crossed ;)

If you can get a mate to help push & steady you ,you dont need a hill but it helps , Ignition/ fuel on put it second clutch in run like fk & jump on over the saddle or side saddle depending how capable you feel & let clutch out ,have a few practices first in neutral ,its great fun so enjoy lol ....R

If you can get a mate to help push & steady you ,you dont need a hill but it helps , Ignition/ fuel on put it second clutch in run like fk & jump on over the saddle or side saddle depending how capable you feel have a few practices first in neutral ,its great fun so enjoy lol ....R

root these bikes are so tall i wouldnt recommend that method to a novice, will only end in tears. thats why I said two mates push :rolleyes:

I bow to the master not familiar with this bike just telling the basics :blush: , so he'd be ok with a decent hill & backup :unsure:

( edit) Er , Sorry ogoab but a posted before reading your post .

• 2 weeks later...

I bow to the master not familiar with this bike just telling the basics :blush: , so he'd be ok with a decent hill & backup :unsure:

( edit) Er , Sorry ogoab but a posted before reading your post .

cheers guys - I just got back from a couple of weeks in croatia so will be trying all this, this weekend. Will let you know how our (3 man) bump start goes.... :)

One time i couldn't get my bike running i flipped it up side down with the gas tank, carb, and spark plug removed, and then kicked/pushed the bike over until there wasn't anything more coming out of the cylinder. And i think you should buy a compression gauge. It's a handy thing to have. If i can't get something to run i usually check for spark, change the gas, check compression, clean carb. generally in that order. Compression can be a very handy thing to know...

ok, so we tried the bump start (in 2nd gear actually, in case that matters) and the engine did sort-of start but with almost no power, and it sounded .... pretty weak i guess. Even with the throttle at max, it didn't have enough power to pull away and as soon as we stopped pushing it, the engine died. Any ideas what this means?

We're gonna get hold of a compression tester, i think, so I should be able to give more info soon....

Have ya fuel getting to the plug.

If ya have a GOOD spark, try this

Take out the plug,,,put the piston to the top of its stroke,,,pour in a bit of petrol,,,put plug back in,,,choke on,,, no throttle,,, now try to start either by pushing or just normal.

If she fires up for just a second then ya arent gettin any fuel to the plug from the tank or carb. If she doesnt even try or attempt to start then next step is a compression test. Like the one in Oldgit photo.

• 1 month later...

ye 100 psi is normal for a dt i think. my dt once had the same problem, wouldn't start at all, spark was good, fuel and carb was good, if i remember it was because water/coolant was getting into the chamber and stopping it from starting, so check your head gasket if you want.

EDIT:sorry i forgot that you mentioned it is the LC so im guessing it's air cooled :/

ye 100 psi is normal for a dt i think. my dt once had the same problem, wouldn't start at all, spark was good, fuel and carb was good, if i remember it was because water/coolant was getting into the chamber and stopping it from starting, so check your head gasket if you want.

EDIT:sorry i forgot that you mentioned it is the LC so im guessing it's air cooled :/

LC means Liquid Cooled ;).

But getting 100psi doesn't point to a leaky gasket, although it could be the case.

ok, so we tried the bump start (in 2nd gear actually, in case that matters) and the engine did sort-of start but with almost no power, and it sounded .... pretty weak i guess. Even with the throttle at max, it didn't have enough power to pull away and as soon as we stopped pushing it, the engine died. Any ideas what this means?

We're gonna get hold of a compression tester, i think, so I should be able to give more info soon....

Are you sure it actually started and didn't just sound like it had ? Easy observation to get wrong when bumping a bike and holding the throttle open.

IF you are correct and it started but didn't have any power, and the bike has been stood, i would be looking at cleaning the carb out, especially the float bowl where the power jet circuit is.

Think i would also be checking for mice nesting in the air box and also making sure there is fuel getting to the cylinder