Dragstar cut out

Ladystarlight-xvs
This post is 5015 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hi everyone

I've had a problem. Just lately she has been cutting out on initial start/ignition and on second start usually goes ok. On this occasion same thing happened, started fine then cut out then on second attempt....no ignition at all. Dead as a do-do. Though all the lights are working, all the fuses are intact, battery is at full power and took starter motor off to check it and that is running off an independant battery. In the past the regi/rec went and fried the old battery and the new regi/ rec has been on about 2 years, though it was a second hand one that some one had spare and gave me so don't know how old it is.

I was wondering if any one had any idea to what may be wrong. Is it the regi/rec again or something else. I thought it may be the regi/rec but wouldn't the battery be fried again if it was?

Please could someone give me some advice as I'm cufuffled. :(

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

I'm gonna guess at the Reg-Rec, yes.

However - Check your fuses. Check also your cut-out switch, your idle speed and your fuel mixture.

Second - Grab a multimeter and check all your connections, especially the earthing. Make sure the connectors are all clean and free of muck, the soldering is solid etc etc.

Then - Check the L bracket that the Reg/Rec is bolted to. This often snaps off just above the single bolt that fixes it to the frame, because teh front wheel kicks all the road crap straight onto it and it rusts out fecking fast! If there's no damage here at all, then check that it is properly earthed.

I always think it's worthwhile making friends with decent mechanics, who can advise or do work on the side for cash in hand. Some even work for beer!!

If this doesn't help, seek some pro advice.

Only then consider spending money on parts - Always replace the cheapest parts first.

I'm gonna guess at the Reg-Rec, yes.

However - Check your fuses. Check also your cut-out switch, your idle speed and your fuel mixture.

Second - Grab a multimeter and check all your connections, especially the earthing. Make sure the connectors are all clean and free of muck, the soldering is solid etc etc.

Then - Check the L bracket that the Reg/Rec is bolted to. This often snaps off just above the single bolt that fixes it to the frame, because teh front wheel kicks all the road crap straight onto it and it rusts out fecking fast! If there's no damage here at all, then check that it is properly earthed.

I always think it's worthwhile making friends with decent mechanics, who can advise or do work on the side for cash in hand. Some even work for beer!!

If this doesn't help, seek some pro advice.

Only then consider spending money on parts - Always replace the cheapest parts first.

Thank you for the info, Ttaskmaster,

I will try these things and let you know how I get on.

many thanks Ladystarlight-xvs

I'm new on here and havn't got to grips with using this forum thingy yet, but thank you for your informattion and help, Ttaskmaster. I will try each thing and let you know what is wrong.

Could (and usually is) something simple-might just be your starter button ?

battery is fine

fuses fine

lights working

do you hear a click or faint whine when you press the start?

Could (and usually is) something simple-might just be your starter button ?

battery is fine

fuses fine

lights working

do you hear a click or faint whine when you press the start?

Thanx Barkwindjammer

There is no noise at all- its totally dead, but all the lights are on, neutral light showing etc. When it cut out it made a click like a trip switch sound when the lights go in the house!!!!!!..I thought a fuse had gone but they are all ok....?????

Hi folks, thank you all for your info. I took on board your advice, Ttaskmaster and Barkwindjammer.

I then looked in my manuel and studied the wiring loom and eliminated what was working and what was linked to each working component and got it down to, as you suggested, the starter switch, cut out switch and starter relay. I asked my BF to open up the starter and cut out switch clamp on my handle bars and after evicting my resident little spider and her web-house and nest of soon to be children, which saddened me greatly, checked the wiring and all seemed ok except for many years worth of accumulted debris.

He sprayed inside with some electrical cleaning spray, for good measure and blasted some compressed air in there and then sprayed it again and hey presto....after flicking the cut out switch up and down a few times, it worked. Put it back together and all is good now. The fault was the cut out switch!!!! with bad connections. So glad I didn't go out and buy a reg/rec. Phew!!!!! :huh:

See, SEE!!

ALWAYS sort out the cheapest stuff first!! :D

Glad ya got it all sorted, mate - See you on the road sometime!!

Thanks Ttaskmaster...see you out there ...keep the rubber side down matey :)

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online