1980 XS400 leaking oil.. pictures .. how screwed am I? lol

kindest
This post is 4706 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

ya.. I did.

I pulled the whole rod right out..then popped out that gasket with a pencil. it comes out easy..careful the bike is level cause at the end of the rod is a little ball bearing which just floats at the end of the rod. don't want to lose that.

so i guess its good the bike is not on the kickstand (and on centerstand), as it is level but still there is a chance when pulling it out the ball bearing falls into engine? ...

I guess if it was leaning to the right somehow, it would be better :).

Im gonna take off the engine anyway to take a look at transmission and possibly replace it, my clutch is real sticky. False nuetral in between 4th and 5th gear and clunky going up and down gears, hard to find neutral or get out of nuetral sometimes.

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.
  • Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

so i guess its good the bike is not on the kickstand (and on centerstand), as it is level but still there is a chance when pulling it out the ball bearing falls into engine? ...

I guess if it was leaning to the right somehow, it would be better :).

Im gonna take off the engine anyway to take a look at transmission and possibly replace it, my clutch is real sticky. False nuetral in between 4th and 5th gear and clunky going up and down gears, hard to find neutral or get out of nuetral sometimes.

i dont think you have to worry about it falling into the engine.. I meant more like rolling out out of shaft then down a sewer drain or something.

i dont think you have to worry about it falling into the engine.. I meant more like rolling out out of shaft then down a sewer drain or something.

rolled off the table and onto the floor.

into the kitchen and out of the door.

rolled in the garden and under a bush

then your little steel ball is nothing but mush.... mush mush!! :P

rolled off the table and onto the floor.

into the kitchen and out of the door.

rolled in the garden and under a bush

then your little steel ball is nothing but mush.... mush mush!! :P

haha, cool. i was worried about it falling into engine reading previous comments :)

heh that looks familiar.

im 100% leak free now after fixing the neutral o-ring and clutch rod gasket. coudn't be happier.

30 minutes with a rag and a pick set and it will look real clean in there.

GUN733.jpg

Brush on, wait 10 mins, wash off. ( don't get it on the chain though). ;)

Vez.

• 1 month later...

I thought the problem was a torn ring of the neutral switch cap. replaced it but still some minor leakage. So I ordered a new clutch rod gasket. Do you have any tips about putting in the new one? Do I have to grease the outside lightly? Or completely dry and clean?? Yamaha should have designed a little cover for the rod. I'm tyred of switching that gasket every 33 years :angry:

:lol:

I thought the problem was a torn ring of the neutral switch cap. replaced it but still some minor leakage. So I ordered a new clutch rod gasket. Do you have any tips about putting in the new one? Do I have to grease the outside lightly? Or completely dry and clean?? Yamaha should have designed a little cover for the rod. I'm tyred of switching that gasket every 33 years :angry:

:lol:

i took the one off my parts bike with a screwdriver and just shoved it in my good bike.. didn't do anything special (no cleaning, no greasing) probably not the best solution but for me so far its held up no problem.

I think it's indeed a weak spot. The pushrod gets al the dirt/grease/dead animals from the drivingchain. And then we use the clutch and the gasket has the diry job to hold all the junk outside. Though life :rolleyes:

I also ordered a new pushrod since mine is a little rusted so I'm affraid it wil ruin my new gasket a lot sooner than within 33 years. I'm going to get me a tiny miniature forkboot (you can find them on biclycles (braking cables, hub side)) and I hope it will keep the part of the rod sliding in and out of the gasket clean.

http://www.kreidleronderdelen.nl/modules/osC/popup_image.php?pID=243

I think it's indeed a weak spot. The pushrod gets al the dirt/grease/dead animals from the drivingchain. And then we use the clutch and the gasket has the diry job to hold all the junk outside. Though life :rolleyes:

I also ordered a new pushrod since mine is a little rusted so I'm affraid it wil ruin my new gasket a lot sooner than within 33 years. I'm going to get me a tiny miniature forkboot (you can find them on biclycles (braking cables, hub side)) and I hope it will keep the part of the rod sliding in and out of the gasket clean.

http://www.kreidleronderdelen.nl/modules/osC/popup_image.php?pID=243

that's a good idea!! :idea:

you wish, did you win the front wheel on ebay?

Nope, I asked the seller some details and it wasn't a XS400 wheel (17mm axl, discs to far from eachother) but I guess a XS650/SR500 wheel.

Picked up the wheels from my next project: SR500 48T caferacer.

http://www.motor-forum.nl/forum/list_message/17165060#17165060

blingbling

Nope, I asked the seller some details and it wasn't a XS400 wheel (17mm axl, discs to far from eachother) but I guess a XS650/SR500 wheel.

Picked up the wheels from my next project: SR500 48T caferacer.

http://www.motor-forum.nl/forum/list_message/17165060#17165060

blingbling

very nice

• 3 months later...

HoHoHo!

Anyone here who made a picture of the clutch-push-rod-hole with the oilseal removed. My seal came out a bit traumatic :( and I can't determine wether there's a little "edge" of the seal still in place or that that edge is supposed to be there.

cheers!

HoHoHo!

Anyone here who made a picture of the clutch-push-rod-hole with the oilseal removed. My seal came out a bit traumatic :( and I can't determine wether there's a little "edge" of the seal still in place or that that edge is supposed to be there.

cheers!

I got an old casing in the shed, i'll look later after mass!

its just a hole with no lip or anything, the clutch seal has a stel washer built into it to support the rod. the two crankcase halves pinch the seal in.

I was wondering if the metal "strip" pointed out in red is supposed to stay in place or not. It's a thin piece of metal and at one place I dented it in with a screwdriver trying to remove the oilseal :blink:

DSCN3026Large.jpg

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online