YBR125 Running Time

Hughsie
This post is 4945 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hey guys. I'm planning a trip down to Liverpool from Irvine, Scotland.

Problem here is, my wee 125 doesn't have a radiator and is air cooled. What I was wondering was... Does anyone know how long I could ride for without the engine overheating? I've heard somewhere around an hour, but I've been on a round trip round to Kilmarnock twice from my house, and that was about an hour and a half of country road. The engine was hot, but felt like it was the same temperature of a short 10 mile journey.

I do know that it WILL eventually overheat and can't do the trip in one go.

Thanks in advance

Tom

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Hey guys. I'm planning a trip down to Liverpool from Irvine, Scotland.

Problem here is, my wee 125 doesn't have a radiator and is air cooled. What I was wondering was... Does anyone know how long I could ride for without the engine overheating? I've heard somewhere around an hour, but I've been on a round trip round to Kilmarnock twice from my house, and that was about an hour and a half of country road. The engine was hot, but felt like it was the same temperature of a short 10 mile journey.

I do know that it WILL eventually overheat and can't do the trip in one go.

Thanks in advance

Tom

Well your wrong, it won't overheat. You will comfortably do the trip with no issues. The engine is DESIGNED to be air cooled. Its not a watercooled motor without water. The carburation, bearing design, internal tolerences etc are all set to allow for aircooling.

The only time aircooled engines get a bit stroppy is when they are run static for a L_O_N_G time.

You have nothing to worry about.

Oh, brilliant! All of this time, I've been pegging along in the car whenever we go anywhere that's an hour or so away!

That's a really good thing to know, but I seem to recall reading something in the manual stating to let it cool down after 1-2 hours of use?? I'll re-read the manual and make sure I didn't "Think" I read it!

Thanks for the reply!

As Cynic says, they're designed that way, I've done over 200 miles in a single trip without any problems (other than a sore backside!)

Great! Thanks guys. I had another blast over the manual, but couldn't see anything regarding letting the engine cool. No idea where I got that idea from then!

Thanks again :D

• 2 weeks later...

Great! Thanks guys. I had another blast over the manual, but couldn't see anything regarding letting the engine cool. No idea where I got that idea from then!

Thanks again :

Yep, thats really so, you can go as long as you wish without any stops. As for the manual - I believe there is an advise to let the engine cool after each hour of work if you do the running in.

• 2 months later...

So have you done that trip yet? If yes: Is there a page I can see some pictures and read about?

I wanted to do a little bit more with my YBR - but the weather was that worse that I cancelled the idea from travelling from the south of germany to do le-jog and back in 2-3 weeks. But I still like to read about what others have done with their bikes - especially with 125 cc.

Greetings, Martin

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online