125 lights are Rubbish.

This post is 4745 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Haha, yeah winds aren't terribly appealing for 125's :(

By "riding on the rims" I meant that there's actually more grip if you ride on the bare metal (Joking, of course!)

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.
  • Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I thought you did! But you sounded serious :P

Haha, sarcasm can't quite be detected in text format!!

• 2 weeks later...

Haha. Funnily enough, I was out earlier, and something told me to swap those two wires around.

Did that, and it worked flawlessly! Only hard part was finding a wire from the light to the battery's negative terminal. Used the Orange wire instead. :P

Thank you very, very much for your top class assistance!

AfterLight.jpg

It suddenly popped into my head mate.... the way you've put that light could cause trouble.... What happens when you brake hard on the front wheel, and the forks go up? :S

Might want to reconsider positioning.... But then again, you might've checked and it might be fine. Just making sure!! :P

It suddenly popped into my head mate.... the way you've put that light could cause trouble.... What happens when you brake hard on the front wheel, and the forks go up? :S

Might want to reconsider positioning.... But then again, you might've checked and it might be fine. Just making sure!! :P

It's fine! The angle of the picture makes the light look further down than it really is!

The light is dead level with the bottom of the "Yamaha" plastic thing, and the light is something like 1/2 degrees pointing down.

I'll give it a proper test when the weather's a lot drier.

Cheers for the heads up ;)

• 1 month later...

I think the main problem is that they use 35/35 Bilux-AS for a large variety of new 125 cc bikes. I had an old Honda CH 125 Spacy from '93 when I was in switzerland - and the light was even better than that on my VW T4. Thanks to H4. :)

Now I own a '05 YBR 125 and here it is: The same problem like with cars from the 1980s: Bilux-AS, again. :(

I took the old headlight of a Honda CX 400, two solenoids, a fuse and some wire and there it is: Bright as H4 can be.

100907_13_t.jpg 100907_20_t.jpg 100907_23_t.jpg

I think the original wires of the YBR 125 are two short in diameter. So I went for a direct connection to the battery, using the old wires only to switch the solenoids.

I have made a documentation of my conversion: H4 headlight with solenoids. Right now in german language. But using the tiny flag on the top of the site you will get the link to the google translator or maybe some day in the future the proper english translation (if someone got the time to help me translating it).

If someone with a YBR wants to do the same conversion and has some questions -> feel free to ask me via e-mail or here in the thread.

Greetings, Martin

• 2 weeks later...

I have purchased a Yamaha 125cc YBR Custom, and I like you have problems with the lights, I purchased the bike 7 months ago and have added a light bar on the front with two 12v 15w halogen spots and two 12v 15wt marker lights on rear. problem now is after an hour the battery goes flat, I need to upgrade the Alternator, but cannot find the specifications of the actual alternator already fitted, and not sure if I can upgrade to a larger unit, to solve the problem at the moment I ahve disconnected the headlamp bulb and use the spots, but when I get home I must put the battery on charge ready for the following day, any one got any ideas on how I can upgrade and to what from what.

many thanks

Tony.

The additional 60 W are too much.

Why the 2x 15 W on the rear? Simply use a LED tail light. Less than 5 W consumption (the original one) while in normal use, up to 5 W when the brake lights are on.

And instead of using additional lights in the front -> choose H4. But I thought the custom already has got H4 in 2010? Or did you buy it used/last year model?

With H4 in the front -> see the retroreflective markers up to 600 m (on a straight road) with normal light, up to 900-1000 m with high beam.

At least with the parts I have mounted on my YBR, standard 60/55 W H4 bulb.

Greetings, Martin

The additional 60 W are too much.

Why the 2x 15 W on the rear? Simply use a LED tail light. Less than 5 W consumption (the original one) while in normal use, up to 5 W when the brake lights are on.

And instead of using additional lights in the front -> choose H4. But I thought the custom already has got H4 in 2010? Or did you buy it used/last year model?

With H4 in the front -> see the retroreflective markers up to 600 m (on a straight road) with normal light, up to 900-1000 m with high beam.

At least with the parts I have mounted on my YBR, standard 60/55 W H4 bulb.

Greetings, Martin

Martin I see where you are comming from, the bike was brand new last October, the reason for the extra lights is simply for show, when I can I will take some pics and show you, I intend to go that bit further with the customising by having parts of the engine chromed up and have extra chrome fittings put on, I want it to be a show bike as well as a all weather road bike for commutting to and from work. when it does get wet and dirty it is cleaned straight away but that is me im afraid But I need to upgrade the alternator, trouble is I am not dure what to do to achieve this.

regards

Tony

I have found a notice in a german bulletin board that the alternator is specified with 115 W output - on a YBR 125 ED '07 (not a custom).

But since almost everything is the same on all the YBRs (K, E, ED, G, etc.) i think it will be the same alternator in all models.

Is ist necessary in UK that "everything that is mounted must work" or can you simply add the lights for the optics and use just one headlight?

Greetings, Martin

PS: If you would like to publish your work on your YBR -> i still got some space on my website. There is no YBR Custom so far, so it would fit in perfectly. :)

I have found a notice in a german bulletin board that the alternator is specified with 115 W output - on a YBR 125 ED '07 (not a custom).

But since almost everything is the same on all the YBRs (K, E, ED, G, etc.) i think it will be the same alternator in all models.

Is ist necessary in UK that "everything that is mounted must work" or can you simply add the lights for the optics and use just one headlight?

Greetings, Martin

PS: If you would like to publish your work on your YBR -> i still got some space on my website. There is no YBR Custom so far, so it would fit in perfectly. :)

Martin If you want the info on the custom bike for your site then yes by all means, I could if it is of any use send you an up to date copy of the specs of the custom and a couple of pics as well if needed, but dont leave it to long as I intend to remove the engine for chroming soon.

reagards

Tony.

• 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Why every body is on the topic of lights the front head light on my Xt 125 x isn't working iv tried all the fuses and they all seen fine there is no power goin to the headlights unit at all if anyone has any solutions it would be much appreciated

• 2 weeks later...

That might be the Osram Haloroad aka BILUX-AS HALOROAD.

But you have to check the socket first. The Haloroad is being sold for the socket P45t.

Greetings, Martin

• 2 weeks later...

I ended up getting a 45w bulb that looks identical to the standard 35w one. It make enough of a difference to make it worthwhile. The spread of the light is the same, but the puddle of light infront of me is brighter.

• 3 weeks later...

I replaced my YBR's headlight with a halogen one, this was a great improvement and has made the bike far safer. I think there is a lot of variation between the quality of halogen bulbs, however the one i found does me fine :)

I ended up getting a 45w bulb that looks identical to the standard 35w one. It make enough of a difference to make it worthwhile. The spread of the light is the same, but the puddle of light infront of me is brighter.

Hi Throttled, have you had any problems putting a higher wattage bulb in the YBR? I've read on this and other threads that higher power bulbs can burn the wiring loom out. What bulb are you using?

I'm going with BlakeyYBR's recommendation, found in this thread: YBR halogen headlights. If that doesn't improve things I'll have another think about higher power bulbs.

Andy

I've read on this and other threads that higher power bulbs can burn the wiring loom out.

It can happen. Approx. 15'000 km with H4 (55/60) and original wiring -> no problems. It was not my YBR but the YBR of a german owner. So it seems to be okay.

Like already mentioned I have used separate (new) wiring for my conversion to H4. Comment of a friend riding a FZ6: »A lot better than before«.

Greetings, Martin

Haha this is gunna sound really nooby as i am a noob :) but what bulb goes into the ybr and where can i get a good upgrade one as mine flickers on and off!! Was out at night on my first night ride and this happened not good :(!! HELP lol

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online