125 lights are Rubbish.

This post is 4746 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hi all as you can see I am new here and new to riding and I had a question about YBR125 headlights as i have just bought a 2009 bike for commuting to work on and have had a few scares with the headlight going out while riding. It was funny actually the first time i rode in the dark I couldn't see anything at all and thought this cant be right so flicked to high beam and that made no difference. It was only then that i noticed the lamp housing had been knocked somehow and the light was pointing up at the sky as i was on a slip road joining a dual carriageway i didn't want to stop so i managed to lean forward while still riding semi blind and push it back down and all of a sudden i could see. But this wasn't were my problems ended the light goes out intermitantly while riding it doesn't seem to be linked in anyway to changes in throttle or braking and it doesn't effect the high beam light. Is this a common fault and is there a fix for it or do I just have to manage with it by dazzling oncoming drivers by using high beam all the time?

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.
  • Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

@Jams:

It should be socket BA20d. But I never bought a new bulb for the original headlight (switched to H4 headlight). I have read that it should be socket BA20d in a bulletin board.

@Jams & Richard_ps3:

I also had a flickering light. I dismantled the headlight, cleaned the contacts and put it back together. No flickering until I switched to the H4 headlight).

Greetings, Martin

@Jams:

It should be socket BA20d. But I never bought a new bulb for the original headlight (switched to H4 headlight). I have read that it should be socket BA20d in a bulletin board.

@Jams & Richard_ps3:

I also had a flickering light. I dismantled the headlight, cleaned the contacts and put it back together. No flickering until I switched to the H4 headlight).

Greetings, Martin

Thanks for that I still have warranty left that was passed to me by the previous owner so think I try contacting a YAMMY dealer and see what they say before anything else might get it sorted for free.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Throttled, have you had any problems putting a higher wattage bulb in the YBR? I've read on this and other threads that higher power bulbs can burn the wiring loom out. What bulb are you using?

I'm going with BlakeyYBR's recommendation, found in this thread: YBR halogen headlights. If that doesn't improve things I'll have another think about higher power bulbs.

Andy

Well that has been since the end of February and no issues with the new bulb. It has the same looks and numbers as the 35w, but it is 45w.

If you wanted to convert to a 12v system,[...]

Not necessary. The YBR 125 already runs on 12 volt - always. :)

Greetings, Martin

I've got a YBR custom and have had a different problem - my bulbs keep blowing. Not both, usually just the dipped, although this week the main beam went pop and after removing it was stunned to discover that it had melted elements inside.

I've gone though 10 in the last 8 months, the Halogen ones last even less longer than the basic ones. Yamaha mechanics can't find an obvious fault, so any suggestions what else it could be?

I can now change a bulb in about 5 minutes, but its really beginning to annoy me now. Have I been unlucky with crap bulbs or do you think there's a serious problem with perhaps my alternator? I briefly experimented with a higher wattage and it blew in less than two days. The cheap basic ones last the longest but as I have to regularly travel in the middle of nowhere in the dark I would prefer more powerful lights.

Has the voltage been checked?

Maybe the voltage regulator is defunct and the whole net gets more than 14 volts. That could be dangerous for the control unit, too.

Have you bought cheap bulbs or brands?

Greetings, Martin

I've got a YBR custom and have had a different problem - my bulbs keep blowing. Not both, usually just the dipped, although this week the main beam went pop and after removing it was stunned to discover that it had melted elements inside.

I've gone though 10 in the last 8 months, the Halogen ones last even less longer than the basic ones. Yamaha mechanics can't find an obvious fault, so any suggestions what else it could be?

I can now change a bulb in about 5 minutes, but its really beginning to annoy me now. Have I been unlucky with crap bulbs or do you think there's a serious problem with perhaps my alternator? I briefly experimented with a higher wattage and it blew in less than two days. The cheap basic ones last the longest but as I have to regularly travel in the middle of nowhere in the dark I would prefer more powerful lights.

Could be a symptom of a duff voltage regulator or just corroded connections to it. Try measuring the voltage across the battery terminals, rev the bike up and check the voltage doesnt rise above (I'm guessing 14V-14.5V) anything significantly over this will put your bulbs at risk.

Could be a symptom of a duff voltage regulator or just corroded connections to it. Try measuring the voltage across the battery terminals, rev the bike up and check the voltage doesnt rise above (I'm guessing 14V-14.5V) anything significantly over this will put your bulbs at risk.

Thank you both X_fish and 'Bike' :) - Its still under warranty so I shall suggest a voltage check when I take her in as it needs some replacement plates too (paint peeling off big time). As you both have suggested the same thing I feel you may be correct on this one. Its not blown anything else though (touch wood). :tearhair:

The bulbs have been a mix of top of the range Japanese halogen to some crappy ones with 'made in India' stamped on them (which ironically lasted a long time - must be all those Enfields with their interesting electrics...)

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online