old urls not working

armyofda12mnkeys
This post is 5022 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Since the forums went down, the old SEO-Friendly url's don't work...

For example:

http://www.yamahaclub.com/forums/forum/33-yamaha-classics/

I believe this has to with the mod_rewrite rules being turned off.

If you guys dont have a programmer who runs the site, might need to call yer host company and ask them to turn on the rewrite rules

-Arian

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Unfortunately in a year and a half, or there abouts, this site has lost 'its spark', to use the phrase of another forum regular "its turned into dullsville", I have my opinion and others have theirs, doesn't mean right or wrong, just an opinion :mellow:

Unfortunately in a year and a half, or there abouts, this site has lost 'its spark', to use the phrase of another forum regular "its turned into dullsville", I have my opinion and others have theirs, doesn't mean right or wrong, just an opinion :mellow:

your just missing Goff ;)

I agree most of our "characters" have gone their ways, we need new blood as its turning into a yamaha workshop forum!!(although there's nowt wrong with this per se)

Yep I do miss some of the characters, and theres maybe a reason they're not around, this is my theory (I'm probably talkin blergy as usual-but here goes)

when I joined the YOC, and a post was put up it showed 'viewers' instantly.

this gave this site a 'live feel'

what happens now is a post goes up, there are 0 views

20 mins later and that post still has '0 viewers'

42 mins later someone 'replies' to this post

1 minute later someone else also 'replies' to the post

,,,,,,,and the section page i.e. GENERAL , shows this same post as 0 views

2 replies

how the hell can replies be made if no-one has 'viewed' the post

it gives the impression that the forum has visitors but no-one is actualy looking at the site :blink:

something has changed in the 're-fresh' or updating of this site, I dont have a problem with this site turning into a 'work-shop' per se, but there are countless other sites where this info can be sourced, this site has held my attention because it felt 'real-time', now it doesn't my attention is easily diverted B)

So is there no one here who is an admin and runs the site lol?

Just assumed it would be someone like me, some kid who likes motorcycles and website development.

I just thought it would have been standard for someone to fix it pretty quickly, after a moderator tells em.

I can do this if the site doesnt have a technical moderator lol (but I would need hosting info ... from the technical moderator person lol [or person who owns the website]) [i'd probably just look for apache mod_rewrite rules for the forum used, im guessing they havent changed, but maybe the server its hosted on restarted and they forgot to enable that module so friendly URLS show up]...

Kinda sucks for them cause you google something, and half the stuff that shows up in google has nice names like " that just redirect to the main page, losing potential users :(

Kinda sucks for them cause you google something, and half the stuff that shows up in google has nice names like " that just redirect to the main page, losing potential users :(

ok us mods cannot do this. I will bring it to Alex's attention.

• Admin

Hiya and thanks for pointing this out armyofda12mnkeys. You're correct after upgrading the forum software several server settings were reset, and I forgot to modify the rewriting options! As for why it has taken so long, my apologies for that, I have been away for the week and haven't been online :-(

• Admin

Hiya I have setup live view as previously installed with the old version.

Now it's enabled, the topic views counter will be updated as one loads a topic. Previously, the topic views would be written to another database and the topic views updated every 3 hours.

The reason for this was at the time on our older server at peak times we were getting around 300 registered users at once (Exc guests). Getting This data on a reduced level significantly reduced overhead on the topics database table. When the board was very busy it overcomes the write lock initiated when the topic counter is updated which would slow the forum down serverley.

Just over a month ago our server was upgraded to run newer versions of the forum application, a newer database version, and we've physically upgraded the server. I'm hoping that these upgrades will allow the forum to run with live view enabled without affecting page load times.

It's difficult running the forums and getting the correct balance between server speed, reliability and functionality on a very small budget, actually negative budget :-p so please bear with me on this, I'm trying my best.

When you have your Moderators lunches at HQ please keep an eye on Mervin-he's a button pusher :huh::lol:

When you have your Moderators lunches at HQ please keep an eye on Mervin-he's a button pusher :huh::lol:

¿ Like Desmond in " Lost " ?

:lol: :lol: :lol:

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online