Defect speedometer XT125

Hanssc
This post is 3490 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hi!

My XT125 from 2007 has a defect speedometer. It is a electronic display that shows different informations. It is showing the speed as 0 km/t and not counting the distance, but it is able to show the rpm. It has a sensorcable that ends with a sensor close to the break disk. Nothing is mounted on the disk, so I assume that it some kind of sensor that can see whether it is close to metal or not and is used for counting the holes in the breakdisk. Is that correct?

I assume that the failure could have something to do with the sensor and want to check it. Do you know what kind of semsor it is (reedswitch, inductive or ??) and how to check it? There are three wires in the connector to the sensor.

Has any of you had the same failure and what was the problem?

Thank you in advance!

Hans

• 1 month later...
Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Hi!

My XT125 from 2007 has a defect speedometer. It is a electronic display that shows different informations. It is showing the speed as 0 km/t and not counting the distance, but it is able to show the rpm. It has a sensorcable that ends with a sensor close to the break disk. Nothing is mounted on the disk, so I assume that it some kind of sensor that can see whether it is close to metal or not and is used for counting the holes in the breakdisk. Is that correct?

I assume that the failure could have something to do with the sensor and want to check it. Do you know what kind of semsor it is (reedswitch, inductive or ??) and how to check it? There are three wires in the connector to the sensor.

Has any of you had the same failure and what was the problem?

Thank you in advance!

Hans

i have the same problem upon closer inspection somthing has gone pop in the speedo its self and its gonna need a new one hope that helps jim

• 8 months later...

Hi everyone,

I've been searching for information about what seems to be one of the common faults with the XT125R's, the problem with the speedo always reading 0 Mph/not recording the distance covered. Answers always go from replacing the sensor cable to replacing the speedo itself. Now, I was wondering: has anyone tried any DIY solutions, e.g. replacing the lead but preserving the sensor and connector or opening the speedo and found what the fault was? And if so, how did that go?

Regards,

Ed.

• 2 months later...

Is it electronic or mechanical drive?

Had a problem with my TZR50 that turned

out to be the electronic sensor at the hub.

Put some info in the forum at

:entry 1497411

Hey thanks for your reply!

It's an electric (magnetic) sensor. I just purchased a replacement on eBay, finally found a brand new one under £30! Hopefully it will do the job.

• 3 months later...

Did it work? Problem with these xt125 is build quality! its awful! reliable engine though!

my speedo has been on the blink for ages. took it apart and it was slightly damp.... dryed it in the airing cuboard in pieces re fitted it with black sealent to prevent it happening again! worked fine for a while now speedo showing 0mph all the time. may be damp fuse's........or a new cable. just wondered if it worked for yours?

• 3 weeks later...

Hey Ollieb23, it worked! It took me a few hours to get the bolt that holds the sensor in place, but it worked straight away.

I sold her shortly after to get a bigger bike, i hope all bikes i own will be as reliable as she was!

• 2 months later...

hi there all i have had my xt for nearly 3yrs had trouble with my seedo when i first had it after having new clocks and pickup sensor worked fine 6months later it broke easy to sort disconect it put it over radiator to dry once its dried out over night silicone seal round the top and clean the conectors up for a troble free time just put vassoline in the conectors to prevent corrosion will alsso help with to make a better conection please note i am talking from my experiance i am a auto electrician and just saying what worked for me if i haven't had any more problems. but if for any reason mine goes again i will stip it down and have a look to see if i can see what elese could be causing a problem and will work on a more permant fix will up load photo's so you may want to keep an eye on this thread. ps the way it work it is magnettic pick up sensor which counts the groves which caculates the speed

• 2 years later...

Hi Mate you should look at the date stamp on this post "DECEMBER 2011", started on JUNE 2010 don't think anyone will get back to you, so try a new post in the WORKSHOP section.

• Like 1

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online