81 XS400 with oil behind alternator cover! Help!

1981xs400II
This post is 5064 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

OK, I dont think this is the way to drain your oil and I thought that behind the alternator/rotor cover was suppose to be dry? I basically drained the oil when I took this cover off. Am I wrong? Please help! Thanks

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

The alternator cover is on the left side of the engine, as you sit on the bike. If it was full of oil, yikes, crank seal, I'd imagine.

Ah, the joys of learning all about a new bike, the head-scratching, the oil stains on the shed floor, the cursing, the apologizing to #1..... B)

The alternator cover is on the left side of the engine, as you sit on the bike. If it was full of oil, yikes, crank seal, I'd imagine.

Ah, the joys of learning all about a new bike, the head-scratching, the oil stains on the shed floor, the cursing, the apologizing to #1..... B)

I am guessing that a crank seal is not an easy thing to do? Probably out of my range of expertise. Any ideas on the cost so I dont get screwed?

Good news- it's supposed to be that way. If you doubt me and you have an XS400, prove your confidence in my error by topping off the oil, then taking off your alternator cover....but don't say I didn't warn you.

Good news- it's supposed to be that way. If you doubt me and you have an XS400, prove your confidence in my error by topping off the oil, then taking off your alternator cover....but don't say I didn't warn you.

That's awesome! Now can you please help me with my charging problem? The bike has say for a few years now and had trouble starting. I replaced the battery and solonoid and it seemed to have worked for a few days. Yesterday I took out the bike, it stalled and when I tried to restart it there was no power whatsoever. With a charge it starts right up but if I dont keep the revs up as soon as I take off the charger it konks out and again its dead. Maybe regulator? stator? This is why today i took off the cover in the first place. Any suggestions?

That's awesome! Now can you please help me with my charging problem? The bike has say for a few years now and had trouble starting. I replaced the battery and solonoid and it seemed to have worked for a few days. Yesterday I took out the bike, it stalled and when I tried to restart it there was no power whatsoever. With a charge it starts right up but if I dont keep the revs up as soon as I take off the charger it konks out and again its dead. Maybe regulator? stator? This is why today i took off the cover in the first place. Any suggestions?

maybe the ground wire? i found mine would not start some time's and there seem'd to be no power then i found the ground wire was rotted inside the wire jacket. after i replced it ive had no problem's .

maybe the ground wire? i found mine would not start some time's and there seem'd to be no power then i found the ground wire was rotted inside the wire jacket. after i replced it ive had no problem's .

That I havent checked. One more question, my exhaust is pretty bad and clamped in a few places..I noticed that there is some oil leaking out of the clamped spots..is it normal to have oil in the exhaust pipes? Could it be because of bad plugs? Thanks again for you help..I am somewhat of a newbie but hate to just take it to a shop and pay big bucks for something I might have been able to fix.

Lean the bike against a wall about 15 degrees and the oil will not run out. That's about the same angle as a kickstand but it's the other way.

The stator wires exit at the bottom of the cover and wind around the sprocket area. Needless to say, there are lots of places that can pinch the wires, soak them in oil, and short out against the engine. Like mine did.

I replaced the wires, wrapped them in tape followed by heatshrink tubing, and used a heat gun to form them around the sharp bends and twists. The heatshrink goes all the way along the wires, keeping the oil and grease from the chain out.

The stator cover gasket is a pain in the ass. I had to use sealant on both sides to get a seal and a month later it still seeped a bit. The rubber grommet at the bottom was a BAD design, they should have exited at the top like Suzuki did.