Fuel Tanks

xv535guy
This post is 5072 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hi guys,

I'm a new owner of a 93 Virago XV535. Didn't have much money and really needed another bike (had to sell old one after lost job, gotta eat!). I has 10k miles and runs great so far, mileage a little low but just prob needs a good tune. Anyway, there is only 1 big dent on it in the top gas tank. There is a '94 tank available for a reasonable price but I can't seem to find information as to whether it will fit the '93 or not. So - will a '94 top fuel tank fit a '93?

Other than that, love riding the bike. Very nice to get back on the road.

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

One General (imprecise) method should you be able to find nothing else

Go to Google and click on the images ... then find the showroom pictures

Try to find pictures of the same size taken from the same angle and look

If the two tanks, the seats, frame, and steering head, seem to be indentical

There is a very small chace that the tank has changed at all though it may have

I do not know the exact answer to your question yet this can be used for many others

Karen

Hi guys,

I'm a new owner of a 93 Virago XV535. Didn't have much money and really needed another bike (had to sell old one after lost job, gotta eat!). I has 10k miles and runs great so far, mileage a little low but just prob needs a good tune. Anyway, there is only 1 big dent on it in the top gas tank. There is a '94 tank available for a reasonable price but I can't seem to find information as to whether it will fit the '93 or not. So - will a '94 top fuel tank fit a '93?

Other than that, love riding the bike. Very nice to get back on the road.

One General (imprecise) method should you be able to find nothing else

Go to Google and click on the images ... then find the showroom pictures

Try to find pictures of the same size taken from the same angle and look

If the two tanks, the seats, frame, and steering head, seem to be indentical

There is a very small chace that the tank has changed at all though it may have

I do not know the exact answer to your question yet this can be used for many others

Karen

Thank you Karen for the suggestion. While I had looked at pics of both bikes, really couldn't tell much. However, after reading your post I thought to look at the part listings of both bikes. The tanks on the listings look identical except for the 93 has Yamaha on the side and the 94 has Virago. I actually like the Virago one better!

Rob

4677_42.gif

4177_39.gif

Rob ... Brilliant idea looking at the parts listings ... as you may be able to tell I know a few things about bikes ... and when diagnosing an issue one of the primary questions we ask ourselves is at all times ... "what is the same and what is different" ... once you know that you know a great deal ... for instance if you have a starter which is not funcioning and you tear it down ... you may be expecting it to just be brushes ... but if the brushes look fine ...and you then ask yourself what is the same in a perfect starter ... and what is different in the one you now have in yor hand ... you will find that commutator is bent ... in exactly the way you compared the parts listings ... and answered your question ... fine work you have done ... Karen

Thank you Karen for the suggestion. While I had looked at pics of both bikes, really couldn't tell much. However, after reading your post I thought to look at the part listings of both bikes. The tanks on the listings look identical except for the 93 has Yamaha on the side and the 94 has Virago. I actually like the Virago one better!

Rob

4677_42.gif

4177_39.gif