1976 xs500 oil filter location

corlon
This post is 5045 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

It's behind the rear left side crankcase/chain cover. You'll need to remove the gear shift lever and leftside foot peg first to get the cover off.

Do you have an owners manual with your XS500? If so, what does it say concerning checking the oil level....do you screw in the dipstick all the way to check oil level, or not screw it in at all?

Thanks

It's behind the rear left side crankcase/chain cover. You'll need to remove the gear shift lever and leftside foot peg first to get the cover off.

Do you have an owners manual with your XS500? If so, what does it say concerning checking the oil level....do you screw in the dipstick all the way to check oil level, or not screw it in at all?

Thanks

Where did you find a new oil filter? Wiz.

I tried them a few days ago & they don't list one. Wiz.

Just checked again to make sure & they don't list the XS500C, but they do list the XT500 1976 & it has the same part # 371-13440-90-00, but when you check the Yam' parts diagram, it shows a cartridge filter for that model,the XS has a spin on. Now I am confused. Wiz........

Just checked again to make sure & they don't list the XS500C, but they do list the XT500 1976 & it has the same part # 371-13440-90-00, but when you check the Yam' parts diagram, it shows a cartridge filter for that model,the XS has a spin on. Now I am confused. Wiz........

The 1976 XT500 is a 500cc single, dual-sport bike and does have a cartridge filter. If you go to the Yamaha website and find the parts section you can find the parts book for all Yamahas (well, I guess all of them). You can then find the part# for the "oil cleaner" (that's what Yamaha calls it!). The # shown for both my 74 TX500 and your 76 XS500 is:

371-13440-09-00

If you type that into the search box at Speed & Sport Yamaha you will come up with 2 listings...one for about $58 and one for about $16.00. The $58 one may include some kind of adaptor with it or maybe it says "Yamaha" on it...not sure. The $16 one is an after market one that's a bit shorter then the original and on it's box it says (and this may ad a bit to the confusion!) "replaces Yam O.E.M. #371-13441-90". The show they have 58 of them. I just used one on my bike and it fit fine and nothing has blown up after 300 miles (knock on wood!). The box says it from KK Motorcycle Supply, Dayton, Ohio, USA and their part# is 8300-024.

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online