Squishy forks on xs400

(Graham)
This post is 5052 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

I'm noticing the front fork is pretty saggy. My manual calls for 10w30 oil so I used that, and now I don't like how it is handling. Anyone know if I just dump more of it in, will it stiffen things up?

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Proper amount to begin? I'd say better best change out the fork oil. Manual say to flush old out when you changed it? Not to mention specified quantity?

This in another thread from Drewpy:

Posted 12 September 2009 - 02:51 AM

i use 20w fork oil for 200 lbs bloke

Proper amount to begin? I'd say better best change out the fork oil. Manual say to flush old out when you changed it? Not to mention specified quantity?

This in another thread from Drewpy:

Posted 12 September 2009 - 02:51 AM

i use 20w fork oil for 200 lbs bloke

I'm about 165 lbs most of the time. Owners manual wants 142cm3 or 4.8 us oz. Isn't that just a bit less than 1/2 a can of pop? I admit I have a lousy measuring container :blink: Doesn't seem like much. I didnt flush it out but it drained for weeks while I struggled getting the caps off over the winter. Looking back at the manual, I neglected to, "slowly pump the forks up and down to distribute the oil" before putting the spring and cap back in. I didn't think the motor oil seemed right since my service manual talks about 'yamaha fork oil'. I'm going to get some specific fork oil tomorrow and try again without missing a step. I'll look for a more accurate guage too. Any ideas where to find a graduated cylinder or something of the sort? Pharmacy?

Use 15W oil and a couple of washers on top of the springs and you won't recognize the bike's handling anymore. A bit more oil (less airchamber)makes it more progressive as well.

Greetings,

Pico

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online