Weird Electrical Issue XS500

LostCost
This post is 5079 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

I've been slowly working on my '75 XS500 project. I ran into some electrical strangeness yesterday. I repaired a break in a wire yesterday which was preventing anything from getting power. Now, with the key in the middle position the following accessories work: headlamp, all signals, neutral light, producing spark, the horn and starter make only the slightest noise to tell they are receiving some power. No tail light, no brake light and no gauge back-lighting. When I click the key to the full right position, only the head light, tail light and gauge back-lighting works.

Any theories?

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

full right position is for parking on an unlit road acording to UK law!

as for the rest, check the earth strap and connections to the starter solinoid and check fuses

I live in the US, and every Yamaha I've ever owned has a 3 position ignition that goes [Off-Accessory-Run] (left to right}. On these bikes, the middle position is Run?

on my 400 it is

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online