76 Yamaha XS500 fork springs

thags
This post is 4463 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hey guys, I've recently purchased a '76 XS500, and I'm looking to get some new tighter front springs, as the bike more or less nose-dives when I hit the front brakes, and also for better riding. The problem is that I, nor anyone in the shops around town (Vancouver) know the specs for the springs, or any compatible models so that I know which ones to order. If anyone knows somewhere where I can find the right springs, or the specs so I can order them from a shop, I would be very appreciative. Thanks,

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

...also FYI, I've checked Sonice Springs, HVC Cycle, and Hagon's to no avail.

the closer I can figure is the SR500, which Hagon's carries. anyone know if this would be compatible?

If its got 34 mm forks there will be very little on offer, the nearest would likely be the 74-76 XS650 springs. 35mm and there's a good chance it will share the same spring as the XS650/SR500 and these are available. I'd e-mail Hagon in the UK as they are very helpful on these matters.

Its the damping more then the springs that causes the dive BTW.

XS650 forks fit the 500. You can still find XS500 forks on eBay, I did, and they were in excellent condition for $45. Good luck on your search!

You need to check which ones as the XS650 had several different versions. Late XS roadster forks are common and easy to find.

cool, thanks guys.

I've also had it suggested to cut some matching 1" pieces of PVC pipe and just install them on top of the springs to compress them and make them stiffer. This seems like it makes sense, and would be a way cheaper option. Any reason why I shouldn't?

• 1 year later...

Yes, 1" pieces of PVC pipe will help a little with braking nose dive.

Downside: The extra preload will transmit more of the road ripples and bumps through to your arms.

Damping affects nose dive as well. One upgrade that works really well is Race Tech cartridge emulators.

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online