Rubbing / Binding noise

stuart1507
This post is 5090 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hi All,

I am getting what can only be described as a rubbing/binding noise on my 02 FZS600 this is more evident around the 15-20 mph, i think (but not sure as i know noises can transmit through the frame) from the front end.

I have recently replaced my front wheel bearings and have checked these and there is no movement, i keep thinking it might be my brakes rubbing but after a 30 mile ride to the office both front discs and rear discs are cool to touch and wheels spin freely.

the bike has been parked up all weekend in my garage so the only thing that has changed from last week would be the added chain oiler (homemade) and my chain adjustment both sorted out yesterday evening.

My bike is coming up to its 24000 mile service and valve check so i fully intend to strip the brakes and clean them then but this noise has got me thinking i should be looking for the culprit somewhere else!!!

Cheers in advance

Stu

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Hi All,

I am getting what can only be described as a rubbing/binding noise on my 02 FZS600 this is more evident around the 15-20 mph, i think (but not sure as i know noises can transmit through the frame) from the front end.

I have recently replaced my front wheel bearings and have checked these and there is no movement, i keep thinking it might be my brakes rubbing but after a 30 mile ride to the office both front discs and rear discs are cool to touch and wheels spin freely.

the bike has been parked up all weekend in my garage so the only thing that has changed from last week would be the added chain oiler (homemade) and my chain adjustment both sorted out yesterday evening.

My bike is coming up to its 24000 mile service and valve check so i fully intend to strip the brakes and clean them then but this noise has got me thinking i should be looking for the culprit somewhere else!!!

Cheers in advance

Stu

Just been out for another ride during my lunch break, noise is still present, however, if i have over adjusted my chain could this be the problem as i have just noticed that my chain seams to have gone tight from when i checked the adjustment yesterday?

Just been out for another ride during my lunch break, noise is still present, however, if i have over adjusted my chain could this be the problem as i have just noticed that my chain seams to have gone tight from when i checked the adjustment yesterday?

Loosen the chain a bit and take it for a ride again, for some reason I get the same on my R1, if the tension isn’t just right I can hear this weird noise, make sure the chain is lubricated as well. Hope this helps.

K'nell, only adjust the chain at its tightest point ie you have to move the wheel and feel the chain to guage where it is. then adjust to that.

You'll knacker the output bearing if you load it with a few tons of torque.

Sorted last night, back the chain off no problem now cheers for the replies.

Looks like i will be replacing the chain in the next few weeks as well.

Cheers All.

Stu

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online