New rider troubles....

dan1985
This post is 5079 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hi everyone,

Im a total newbie to riding and bikes but fell in love with my bike.

I picked it up today and i think im having a few teething problems....

its the gears, the owners manual and members on the forum say it has 6 gears, i can only get 4 gears?! with this it limits the bikes speed to 60mph at 10000rpm, at first i put this down to the bike not being able to cope as i am around 16stone but after reading other post this shouldnt make as much of a difference as im getting?!

can someone please point me in the right direction as to whats going on with my bike?!

thanks, Dan

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Try putting the bike on the centre stand so the rear wheel can move freely, start the bike up but don't sit on it and see how many gears you can engage.

will try that but i didnt notice a centre stand and niether did my mrs when we were putting it in the garage. i know i should have 6, checked out the owners manual and official sites, all saying it should have 6. its definatly sticking to 4th, the revs indicate that when riding.

im just wondering if this could be part of the restrictions? am i just doing the gears wrong when riding?! ..... hope not, would feel a little stupid lol

If you haven't got a centre stand lift the back of the bike up and place a block of wood or something under the engine to get the rear wheel off the ground.

will try that.

does it sound like somethings up? i should definatly have 6 gears shouldnt i? not 4. and i should be doing better than 60mph at 10000rpm?

10k revs does seem excessive.

i'm assuming you start in 1st (1 down)

and then lift the gear lever and letting it return after each gear change? it needs this so the gearbox pawl can return and hook the next part of the gear change drum. ('ll stop there before i overcomplicate things)

check the gear lever isn't loose

60mph isn't too far from the top speed coz they are restricted to around there

75mph is the top speed claimed by yamaha but i had one pass me at 80,as far as the gears and only getting 4, where did you buy the bike from and how many miles has it done,if it is a second hand bike the thing could have been thrashed or maybe the last owner sold it because of this problem,it could be something as simple as some minor adjustments or something major like the gear selector or maybe its you how experienced a rider are you? as drewpy said are you starting in first and going through all the gears.

dont feel stupid we have all been there things will fall in to place,just get some miles under your belt. :D

10k revs does seem excessive.

i'm assuming you start in 1st (1 down)

and then lift the gear lever and letting it return after each gear change? it needs this so the gearbox pawl can return and hook the next part of the gear change drum. ('ll stop there before i overcomplicate things)

check the gear lever isn't loose

60mph isn't too far from the top speed coz they are restricted to around there

Yep you got me lolll... :unsure: ('ll stop there before i overcomplicate things)

I agree with oldtimer..70mph sounds about right :D

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online