XVS 125 one tooth up in the front sprocket

Reservoir-dog
This post is 4482 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

• 2 weeks later...
Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

what do you mean by size? cause as far as i know there all the same (as long as its a mikuni) and is round not hexagon.

cant you just order one off ebay?

here iv put a link up for you (for the correct 100 main jet)

100 main jet

and if you scroll down on the e-bay page its got the measurements of the jet

Have ordered the 3 less at the back sprocket now.I thought i was already running a 100 jet but not.So have ordered that as well.So pretty soon i'll have 2 up front sprock,3 down rear sprock and the 100 jet in.I'm going all out on this wee bike i just can't get my head around the economy (record is 156 miles before reserve) and with my hawk pipes on it sounds great.Hoping my rear tyre appears this week 4 weeks after i ordered it ! then i can run it down to the Boneyard and find out how much this bob-job is going to skin me.Looking at new bars too had a set of hangers i aquired but they're bent so. . . . looking into new ones anyone used custom-fastners ? My link,and are our bars 7/8 ? also has anyone done the side mounted number plate on the xvs 125 ? i want to do this too.Then its just sorting the lights out any one got any other cheap custom sites under their hats lol ?%3ca%20href=IMG00045-20101011-1804.jpg">

im doin the same m8 with the bobber project lol if by fasteners you mean bar risers then take a look on ebay as there are loads and are quite a reasonable price, as to a side mounted number plate the only way iv come up with so far is to fabricate a bracket and attach it to where the rear foot pegs would have gone. otherwise you would have to weld a bracket to the swing arm. or make some struts for the rear swing arm to replace the shocks (makes it a hard tail) plus you could attach the number plate to them. and your bars are 7/8. with lights iv gone on ebay as there are some good bargains on there.

are you going for original old school or just a bobber stile? the old school involves taking anything off you dont need! like cosmetic plastics. then making custom parts to fit, like the seat and fenders ect.

but if your happy with just the bobber stile then there are loads of bolt on parts on ebay, probably would need a little fabricating as allot of the parts will be for Harley's and wont fit properly.

I'm trying to mix it up a bit modern and classic .want the bobber rear end tight fitting half guard at the back.have emailed a mob on ebay who do side mount brackets for the virago so hoping they'll sort out the number plate problem.then looking at black 16inch rise ape hangers.the only problem I'm really having is the saddle any suggestions ? Oh and do the tail lights have to be in the middle of the bike? Spotted a twin led number on ebay pretty cool but,these 2 lights act as break lights and indicators.u reckon there legal?

I'm trying to mix it up a bit modern and classic .want the bobber rear end tight fitting half guard at the back.have emailed a mob on ebay who do side mount brackets for the virago so hoping they'll sort out the number plate problem.then looking at black 16inch rise ape hangers.the only problem I'm really having is the saddle any suggestions ? Oh and do the tail lights have to be in the middle of the bike? Spotted a twin led number on ebay pretty cool but,these 2 lights act as break lights and indicators.u reckon there legal?

well there is a metal plate under the seat which then attaches to the frame so you could always put the srings on that (im asuming your wanting a srung seat) then the bracket at the bottom of the tank can come off to give you a little more room. but its just a case of trial and error. the easyest option would be to get a non sprung seat and just fit it on.

with the ape hangers you might need longer cables as there is only about an extra 2-3 inch you can get out of them. and as far as i know as long as the rear light has a stop, tail and indicators that can clearly be seen and are e-marked it dont matter! :D

• 1 year later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hi all,

I just replaced my front sprocket with an 18 tooth one. i've noticed my top speed drop from 65 with the original to 55 with the new one. has anyone else found this?

regards,

alex

the gearing for standard sprockets 16/59 is 3.688, fitting a 17t front makes your gearing lower 3.47 so this should increase the top speed

1 tooth on the front sprocket is equal to 3 on the rear

but if your happy with just the bobber stile then there are loads of bolt on parts on ebay, probably would need a little fabricating as allot of the parts will be for Harley's and wont fit properly.

Can i just say that BOLTING ON parts to a cruiser will create a chopper...........REMOVING all the useless chrome bolted on parts creates a bobber.

No Harley part will fit onto this bike (except for badges) unless you wanna spend loads of cast getting them re-fabricated or your willing to going metal bashing and welding a shot?

You are going to have to make a lot of stuff your self as parts are like rocking hourse shit but thats all part of the fun! If you want ape hangers you will need to extend your cables, But again measure before you buy.

Just something to consider.

the gearing for standard sprockets 17/59 is 3.688, fitting a 17t front makes your gearing lower 3.47 so this should increase the top speed

1 tooth on the front sprocket is equal to 3 on the rear

Standard front sprocket size is 16 teeth. Moving up to 18 teeth on the front will seriously bring down the top speed, as the engine is not powerful enough to turn the increased load. Engine revs will be lower, but acceleration will be slower too.

With standard 16 on the front, the bike should reach 70 flat out. 15 teeth on the front will smarten up the accelration, and when I ran mine with that, I got 75mph flat out, but by fuck the engine was screaming.