First Bike 78 XS500

78Excess
This post is 4467 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Im mostly a car guy but was able to obtain my dad's 1978 Yamaha XS500, he bought it brand new and it only has 10k on it. It has been sitting but i was able to get it running a few summers ago. The alternator needs replacement but from what I've read the electrical system on this bike was a weak point (which is why they stopped making it after a few years). Was able to get the carbs cleaned yesterday, pilot jets are clean, idle is back to normal. Other than a mouse living in the exhaust I didn't have too many issues once I got it running.

Joined to learn more about the bike and browse the for sale section : )

Will an alternator from a TX500 work for my XS500?

• 1 year later...
Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

It sounds like you're saying that the bike was discontinued due to a problematic electrical system or alternator- not true.

No electrical issues particular to the TX500/XS500 have emerged, even today. They are well past 30 years old now, so of course you may see any problems on an individual bike!

You don't mention what part of the alternator is bad, so:

The TX500 stator and field coil will fit the XS500. The rotor probably will too, though it was slightly changed on the XS500C.

This post is 4467 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.