yb100 issues

charliep1982
This post is 4999 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hi all, I am new to the site but i need help. I have recently passed my cbt and to celebrate i bought one of my childhood favs, unfortunately on about the 3rd journey out i was forced into a puddle and 500 yards later the engine cut out. first thoughts were that i had water in the engine. so, i left it to dry over night. then decided it must be something more. First thing i checked was the spark..... no spark, I have so far changed the plug, coil and HT lead (didn't realise it was an all in one unit, got laughed at) but now a friend has asked if it has points, as this may be the root of my issue. I have done some browsing and i now know that it does indeed have points. I dont have any manuals of any kind. Can anyone out there give me a clue how to get to the points. my girlfriend has given the ultimatum "get it going or get it gone" and i dont want to lose my bike.

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

... my girlfriend has given the ultimatum "get it going or get it gone" and i dont want to lose my bike.

Hi

For information the points are located behind the flywheel on the l/hs of the bike - you will need to remove the gear change lever to take off the cover. Replacement requires you to remove the flywheel with a puller, and if done you should replace the 'woodruff key' on re-assembly. The points are easy to change - harder to set up - you really need a dial gauge which is able to measure the exact degrees before TDC (top dead centre), though I have been successfull using a protractor!

However before going to all this trouble I would check out some basics first: Fault sounds electrical so check for a spark at the plug by removing the plug connecting it to the HT lead and laying it on the cylinder head - kick over the engine - you can do this with your hand and check for a good blue spark at the plug. If you don't have a spark with the plug, check for one with the plug and suppression cap removed. Still no spark you need to check the LT (low tension) circuit which you can do with a multimeter to check for current at the points when they open or close. If you have a current here the fault is probably with the HT circuit - coil/HT lead/suppression cap. Difficult to test these - you can check for resitance in the coil (sorry don't have the readings to hand and you can check visually the HT lead where it screws into the supression cap - you often get corrosion here.

If you have a spark and it still don't run problem will either be timing (broken woodruff key, no fuel or poor compression. Compression you can test by putting your thumb over the open plug hole and kicking the engine over - the pressure should almost force your thumb off. Check for fuel by kicking over the engine a few times with a dry plug and then checking to see if there is fuel on the plug.

If you have fuel/spark/compression it should run - it may not run good, but it should run.

Good luck - keep persevering and don't get rid!

:)

Hi

For information the points are located behind the flywheel on the l/hs of the bike

Hi fosdyke, thanks for the advise, I removed the flywheel cover i think (round cover behind gear lever) and found that the nut and both washers had come off and the flywheel was jammed by the nut. i did not look for a keyway but i gather there should be one to arrange the correct timing. I am getting good compression and fuel, still not sure about the spark due to the balmy weather we are having.

any more ideas would be very welcome.

• 3 months later...
  • Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online