options for finishing headers. Opinions?

cegan09
This post is 5119 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

My headers are really not looking good. They are rusting, and very pitted. I plan on getting new ones, either trying to find some (not sure if 650 pipes will work), or having some made. Until i get new ones, what are opinions on finishing them. I'm going between cleaning them and painting with high temp paint, using a spray ceramic coating, or heat wrapping them. It won't be for performance reasons, just aesthetics. From what i've heard heat wrap can cause more rust and corrosion by trapping water. Thoughts on the best temporary method?

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

get 'em made in stainless. my mate had some for his 400 made for £60 pair. bargain I'd say

get 'em made in stainless. my mate had some for his 400 made for £60 pair. bargain I'd say

That is a bargain but I couldn't find anyone that would make it or charge 300+ for it. If they are not that deeply rusted I would sand it down with fine grit and do what you plan to do. If all else fails go to a motorcycle salvage yard, but your chances of finding one would be very slim and even more so trying to find one in good condition. (At least in southern california.)

I love how stainless looks, so i'll be looking for a place that will make a set. Unless anyone can confirm the pipes on MikesXS for the 650 will work on the 500, but i'm not so sure they will. My current ones are really quite dead. I can clean the rust, but painting or coating won't fill the pits. A wrap will just exaggerate the corrosion i fear.

In the short term...and on the cheap side, I initially thought that there was too much rust on my exhaust to save it, but I soaked the pipes and mufflers in a phosphoric acid rust remover, then polished with chrome cleaner- not perfect, but the flaws are pretty hard to see, especially at more than 5 feet. Keep them clean and hit them with chrome polish every so often and the rust will not recur for a long time.