Installing fork gaiters + steering stem bearings

armyofda12mnkeys
This post is 5097 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

I have a fork dust seal missing on my 78 XS400, so decided to get rid of it, and install some fork gaiters instead ... and put on new non-rusty fork trim/badge and if got time, probably put in the steering stem bearings I hear improve handling this weekend (and of course at the end of this work, putting new fork oil)...

I also bought some fork oil seals (yamaha part #1L9-23145-00-00)

I was going to do it this weekend with some friends helping me out...

So I had following questions...

1. Will the mikesxs xs650 fork gaiters fit the 33mm xs400 forks?

2. Should I buy any other gaskets (aka parts that are useless once they come off) if Im taking off the forks/steering units doing the work above?

3. and also what are the tapered steering stem bearing/seal set i bought (shown here) exactly replacing in this pic:

0037.png

Thanks!,

Arian

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

1: I just used a dirt bike fork gaiters and cut them to length, I zipped tied the to make the rest fit and it looks pretty good. The xs650 has bigger forks so you will have a little more slop, but I know that the dirt bike fork gaiters are a lot softer and manageable even though you have to cut some length off of it.

2. I sourced out my forks since it was a major component that I did not want to mess up.

3. It looks like the correct one, just do not forget to remove the races when you install them. Sometimes they are very hard to get out and feel like they are welded on the bike, but with some a long screw driver and a mallet/hammer you should get them out. Also don't forget to grease it.

You are replacing 2-7. I just put those in my 500, happy so far, but the old ones were so gone that anything would be better.

Find a piece of brass to use to hit them in. The brass is softer than the bearing cup so you don't damage the cup. I didn't have anything that was the same diameter as the cup, so i had to hit around the whole thing pushing it in slowly and evenly.

To remove the old ones i used a socket extension and a hammer. Hit one side than the other, repeat to knock them out.

1: I just used a dirt bike fork gaiters and cut them to length, I zipped tied the to make the rest fit and it looks pretty good. The xs650 has bigger forks so you will have a little more slop, but I know that the dirt bike fork gaiters are a lot softer and manageable even though you have to cut some length off of it.

cool thanks guys...

hebrew, you know a good set that will def fit the xs400 33mm?

I saw these, not sure which to pick hehe:

Here is a pair i saw advertised on ebay under xs400 and looked up the part # and found it on partsnmore.com (but under cb450-750 so not sure)

www.rockymountainatvmc.com fork gaiters

Heres a pair that is 33mm but 44mm on the other end?

unless someone is confident the mikesxs xs650 ones can be fit to look good with some instructions

Also just to be clear: fork gaiters replace the fork dust covers right? like its either/or, and not like the gaiters will run over the dust covers somehow...

Some guy walking by who used to have a bike said they went on top the other day and I was like 'huh?, couple peeps told me the gaiters replace the dust covers' and he seemed still pretty confident they go over them lol. Maybe he was confused as I said I also bought fork oil seals which go inside the forks and he was thinking of the fork seals when I was talking about the fork dust covers when he said that

1st when replacing with the taper bearings, i had to use a dremmel to cut the lower race out of the fork stem ( not all the way but enough to chisel off the part) get rid of the lower seal as well.

the outer cups are the same, but the inner ones are diferent (I'm trying to remember now!!)

drive the bearing in with a poly drain pipe, they can be cut shorter and are sacrificial ( i think they are 2 1/4 ")

use plenty of grease and don't tighten down too much as you'll over load them just enough to take out any slack!!

2nd fork oil seals - are a pain to replace and you need to strip down the stantions via a allen bolt under the lower fork. if you can do this before taking off the springs and you can then quicky "snap" off the bolt before the whole stantion gets to move around with it. otherwise you need to make a tool to hold the innards to undo the bolt! ( do-able though)

you use gentle heat to get off the seals and use a pry bar and soft cloth protecting the soft alloy ( this is after the stantions are taken off). if it still won't budge, self tapper screw into the seal and pull the F*ker out!

for gaiters, you need to measure the top of the lower fork mount and stantion ( which is 33mm) and ask the vendors.

drewps

the outer cups are the same, but the inner ones are diferent (I'm trying to remember now!!)

The inner ones have different diameter holes since the steering shaft is thicker at the bottom than at the top end. you can't put them on the wrong ends, it will be painfully obvious that you selected the wrong one for that end.

you use gentle heat to get off the seals and use a pry bar and soft cloth protecting the soft alloy ( this is after the stantions are taken off). if it still won't budge, self tapper screw into the seal and pull the F*ker out!

+1

Worked a treat on my DT forks, use a heat gun (this cannot heat the metal far enough to do damage) and cook em good. Smoking the oil is a good sign and they will come out very easily.

cool thanks guys...

hebrew, you know a good set that will def fit the xs400 33mm?

I saw these, not sure which to pick hehe:

Here is a pair i saw advertised on ebay under xs400 and looked up the part # and found it on partsnmore.com (but under cb450-750 so not sure)

www.rockymountainatvmc.com fork gaiters

Heres a pair that is 33mm but 44mm on the other end?

unless someone is confident the mikesxs xs650 ones can be fit to look good with some instructions

Also just to be clear: fork gaiters replace the fork dust covers right? like its either/or, and not like the gaiters will run over the dust covers somehow...

Some guy walking by who used to have a bike said they went on top the other day and I was like 'huh?, couple peeps told me the gaiters replace the dust covers' and he seemed still pretty confident they go over them lol. Maybe he was confused as I said I also bought fork oil seals which go inside the forks and he was thinking of the fork seals when I was talking about the fork dust covers when he said that

The daystar ones are the ones that I have, they are extra soft and have some slack on them but they come with zip ties to tie them down. Also I used fork gaiters only, but the boots are so soft I bet I can put a dust cover too but it would be kinda weird...

The daystar ones are the ones that I have, they are extra soft and have some slack on them but they come with zip ties to tie them down. Also I used fork gaiters only, but the boots are so soft I bet I can put a dust cover too but it would be kinda weird...

Why remove protection if you don't have to. DT175's have both, i know its a dirt bike but i can see no reason for not fitting them on the XS, they should sit ok under the gaitors, just warm them up a bit or use some wasing up liquid to get them on.

Why remove protection if you don't have to. DT175's have both, i know its a dirt bike but i can see no reason for not fitting them on the XS, they should sit ok under the gaitors, just warm them up a bit or use some wasing up liquid to get them on.

Because the ones that were currently on it was already broken in half and dried to bits. I did not bother spending the extra 20 because I think the gaiters should be ok on its own ;).

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online