broken stud

BRIANM
This post is 5110 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hi Troops,

Having a wee spell of bad luck here,Got a puncture on sunday and stripped the wheel off yesterday rim scrubbed down,new rim tape and new tube,while all this was happening my mate knocked the bike over and the mirror got broken,so i tried to unscrew the stock with a view to replacing either the glass or the whole unit,well its a steel stock into alloy fitting and youve guessed it,the bloody thing snapped clean off.Any ideas on the best way to get the remains out?I have a set of easy outs but it must be tight in there to snap off.is the metal on these things hard or will it drill ok?

any help appreciated,cheers.

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Hi Troops,

Having a wee spell of bad luck here,Got a puncture on sunday and stripped the wheel off yesterday rim scrubbed down,new rim tape and new tube,while all this was happening my mate knocked the bike over and the mirror got broken,so i tried to unscrew the stock with a view to replacing either the glass or the whole unit,well its a steel stock into alloy fitting and youve guessed it,the bloody thing snapped clean off.Any ideas on the best way to get the remains out?I have a set of easy outs but it must be tight in there to snap off.is the metal on these things hard or will it drill ok?

erm, wasn't a right hand mirror was it? I think its a left handed thread :lol:

your day just gets better and better

It was mate and i have the horrible feeling now you mention it youre right,i think i read that somewhere,which means no matter how easy it is to drill an easy out still wont do it.maybe have to have a nosey around and see if i can find the mounting for one instead.

It was mate and i have the horrible feeling now you mention it youre right,i think i read that somewhere,which means no matter how easy it is to drill an easy out still wont do it.maybe have to have a nosey around and see if i can find the mounting for one instead.

is there a chaance you can place a nut over it and then mig in the center of the nut and while its still hot try turning it clockwise, have done this many times on snapped studs were they are set in to alloy,

just a thougth for you good luck

Hi Troops,

the right mirror is a left hand thread so your best bet is to build it up first and then weld a nut to it with using a 12swg rod

so you can get down in there if it not broken off flush with the top of mount.the heat from the weld will

expand alloy.only attempt this off the bike and the weld must be cool before rotating it clockwise slowly

then counter clockwise little by little. have fun.