Gas coming out of left airbox

armyofda12mnkeys
This post is 5099 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

I turned my bike off and it started dripping and I turned off the petcock to stop it.

I guess if I have gas coming out of the left airbox while not running, its a float issue on that side?, like maybe its getting stuck? or could it be something else?

Anyway just wondering what could be issue and what parts to buy since I have to buy air filter elements anyway today (just got my bike back from my mechanic and I guess even though he ultrasonic-ed the carbs, putting it back together he prob didnt do the left float correctly?).

Thanks!

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

On my '79, if the floats are adjusted to 32mm like the manual says, it will leak fuel. At about 29-30mm, it's fine. However, it could be just stuck and not an adjustment issue. I would pull the carbs and check for free movement of the floats and check the float for leaks. If it moves freely and there is no leak, check the height. I test my carbs be blowing into the fuel inlet and rotating the carb so that gravity just closes them. If that blocks the air flow, the movement is OK and the needle is sealing.

set the floats to 26mm top of float to underside of gasket (carb up-side down). tried 32mm and it ran awfull.

get a carb kit( keyster) make sure its the one for your year of carb as they can be slightly different. then fit the needle valve and while your at it the other jets etc.

also check your pet cock is switching off when the engine is off as it uses vacuum to operate a diaphram

drewps

set the floats to 26mm top of float to underside of gasket (carb up-side down). tried 32mm and it ran awfull.

get a carb kit( keyster) make sure its the one for your year of carb as they can be slightly different. then fit the needle valve and while your at it the other jets etc.

also check your pet cock is switching off when the engine is off as it uses vacuum to operate a diaphram

drewps

Hmmmmm interesting, I didnt even think of the petcock... I'm not using the standard tank, I have two 1/4" NPT ball-valve petcocks operating each tube coming out of the tank (which then from the petcocks join into 1 tube with a Y adapter (not sure of terminology), and then i guess that tube then gets split up to each carb [bikes not in front of me at the moment and my mechanic did all the work setting it up])...

I'll try to get some help doing the carb sometime soon [unless you think with those non-stock petcocks i definately need them turned to off all the time] ... for now, just putting the main petcock I use on off when parked (and other 'reserve' one always on off as its not really a reserve since its at same height as other petcock... used if other one gets clogged up). Hehe, I gotta post pics of my bike soon here, She's a looker.

EDIT: I may be retarded, Im confirming with tank/petcock seller later today if I NEED to turn off petcock definately each time since got rid of stock petcock.

You should turn off the petcock when you are done riding, but the needle should keep the carb from overflowing over the course of several minutes. If the carb overflows over a few to 10 minutes, it is a float/needle issue that is the primary problem.

You should turn off the petcock when you are done riding, but the needle should keep the carb from overflowing over the course of several minutes. If the carb overflows over a few to 10 minutes, it is a float/needle issue that is the primary problem.

Yeh it was about 10m. Doh, I feel like a idiot. Lucky i caught it quick before did some damage