SV650 > R6

Tony K
This post is 5115 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Im looking at a rather nice R6, 2001, 15000 miles. Im upgrading from a Suzuki SV650S that ive been riding for 18 months. Has anyone else experienced a similar upgrade and what differences can i expect to find? I believe the 4cyl bikes are higher revving than a Vtwin, does it take much getting used to? Ive only ever ridden twins. Any input would be much appreciated, thanks.

• 2 weeks later...
Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Im looking at a rather nice R6, 2001, 15000 miles. Im upgrading from a Suzuki SV650S that ive been riding for 18 months. Has anyone else experienced a similar upgrade and what differences can i expect to find? I believe the 4cyl bikes are higher revving than a Vtwin, does it take much getting used to? Ive only ever ridden twins. Any input would be much appreciated, thanks.

While I haven't owned a V-Twin, (well I just bought a '75 XS500, but its not running yet) I have owned two R6's and an FZ1. I think the important factors to understand when comparing an SV with an R6 are the riding position and the torque curve. Clearly that SV has a more upright riding style, while the R6, as all super-sport bikes, has a more aggressive, forward-leaning position. The easiest solution is to sit on one at the dealership for several minutes, and try to imagine being on it for an hour or more. I think the more important feature is the engine, which provides the power band or torque curve. While I don't think there is anything to get used to, people do have their preferences to which they like more. I have no doubt you will have great fun with both motorcycles, but the experience is quite different between the two. You should certainly try to find a friend with an I-4 supersport and get a test ride.