DTR power valve compared with DTRE power valve

Guest MaD.VeZ
This post is 4943 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Yeah, sorry, meant to do it today but the gf didnt go home til an hour or 2 ago and the bikes all tucked up in the garage along with the 3 other bikes in there and the folks car. Its like a rubix cube to get it out. It's all disconnected as well atm. Decided to disconnect to see what difference it made. As you'll know, said answer is "ALOT"!

Purchased myself a rather nifty helmet cam that some of you guys might be interested in so ill video it 2moro on that and upload. Good to show the quality of the cam as well as the PV!

*Edit*

On another note. My 02 Dt doesnt have the PV servo or cables etc. Does anyone know if its a unniversal unit? I.e can i use an 06 one on a 2002 bike? Got offered one recently for what i think is fair, but before i take the stuff off the 05 and onto the 02 i thought id see if anyone of you chaps have attempted this?

You need to assertain whether you need a 2 wire version or the later 5 wire version which has different cables also.

Look to see what connector block yours have before buying.

5 wire versions are common on e-bay but the two wire versions are harder to come by.

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

If you get the video posted of your servo operation Andy, that will answer both your question and mine about the newer servos.  :P

I gotta get me one of those invisible cool sounding silencers! :P

The question of can you put a newer PV servo on a 02 bike is no at this point. It looks like the RE's rotate clockwise. I'll keep my eyes peeled on ebay for one for you Andy. 

The question of can you put a newer PV servo on a 02 bike is no at this point. It looks like the RE's rotate clockwise. I'll keep my eyes peeled on ebay for one for you Andy.

Yeah appears to be the case eh! Ah well i guess ill just have to ride in the powerbands for now. I think i've seen one on there for about 50 quid, i'm just reluctant to spend the money as i know ill end up needing it for somthing more important ( i know, what could possibly be more important than the bike! alas the gf wouldnt see it that way if i used that as the reason for not buying her a birthday present!)

On another note, the footage is not bad eh? That helmet cam cost me £12.50 delivered. Its a version of the MD80 mini dv cam. uses micro SD cards and is about 2 inches big......or small....however you look at it, i see 2 inches as BIG! :P

picture001md.jpg

thats plugged into the pc with a usb cable atm, it comes with a number of clips, a silicone case, usb lead, drivers, a string to put around your neck. Not bad i thought for 12.50, shoots in 480x720 and 30fps!

• Like 1

Yeah appears to be the case eh! Ah well i guess ill just have to ride in the powerbands for now. I think i've seen one on there for about 50 quid, i'm just reluctant to spend the money as i know ill end up needing it for somthing more important ( i know, what could possibly be more important than the bike! alas the gf wouldnt see it that way if i used that as the reason for not buying her a birthday present!)

On another note, the footage is not bad eh? That helmet cam cost me £12.50 delivered. Its a version of the MD80 mini dv cam. uses micro SD cards and is about 2 inches big......or small....however you look at it, i see 2 inches as BIG! :P

picture001md.jpg

You got a link for that Andy ?, I was looking into buying one of those MD80's but the cheapest i found was £60. 

I'm sending you a PM about the interview, may take me a few mins to write!

I thought you said yours and OG's bike shared the same pv, its just controlled different. You coulduse the newer stuff if thats the case just make sure the servo and the servo controller match. The controller only uses the taco feed to trigger it. Although i would try to find a real early unit as they were never part of the restrictions.

The PV's looked the same on initial investigation, i have since seen that the end part that connects to the servo pulley is different on the DT125RE, but that is the only difference. The servos we haven't compared for things like part numbers and number of wires. I'm 99% sure that mine has 5 wires and the same for OG's.

There isn't an external servo controller, so i can only presume that it is either built in to the servo itself or is part of the CDI. I think its probably the former on the 5 wire version of servo, and the latter on the older 3 wire versions.

You got a link for that Andy ?, I was looking into buying one of those MD80's but the cheapest i found was £60. 

I'm sending you a PM about the interview, may take me a few mins to write!

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Mini-DV-DVR-Sports-Video-Camera-Spy-cam-MD80-spycam-DC_W0QQitemZ270557432568QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item3efe7acaf8

I bought mine off ebay. I dont think it was this link exactly. The one i was looking at was 12:99 with free shipping but i made a best offer and got a counter for 12.50.

Just make sure you go for one with low p&p as risk with ones that are 99p buy it now with £10 postage is that if it doesnt turn up, they only have to refund the item and not the p&p, so you lose £10. also as it's from china it takes a while and presumably there is a risk of customs charges. Mine was fine but i remember ordering a Mountainbike shock from america and being charged 20quid extra in customs and parcel force charges.

An 8gb micro SD card is between 10 and 15 quid. Most of them say they will only hold 8gb cards but i see no reason for 16gb's not working. 8 seems to be fine tho.

Andy, not too clear on the pics, but are your pv cables crossed? looked to me like yours was working correctly, least some of the time.  ;)

The Pv cables don't look crossed, watch around the 17sec mark.

The video has got clearer now it has been on-line a while, i noticed they get better with age when i made the one about posting pictures, probably Youtube trying to get the video on-line fast so it starts at lower quality until its been fully processed. 

After re-watching the video it does appear the valve works anti-clockwise(correctly) near the end of the pv footage, but at the start it does go clockwise.  :huh:

Has the green and black wire been earthed on yours Andy?

The Pv cables don't look crossed, watch around the 17sec mark.

The video has got clearer now it has been on-line a while, i noticed they get better with age when i made the one about posting pictures, probably Youtube trying to get the video on-line fast so it starts at lower quality until its been fully processed.

After re-watching the video it does appear the valve works anti-clockwise(correctly) near the end of the pv footage, but at the start it does go clockwise. :huh:

Has the green and black wire been earthed on yours Andy?

Right, the pv cables arnt crossed. Atleast they arent from where they come out of the servo cover to the pv housing, so unless they are inside the cover then no.

I have earthed the cable, which allowed it to rev freely.

What you mean "some of the time" OG?

• 4 months later...

Ok so i have finally got around to Videoing the PV since i have earthed the black and green wire. 

And it appears that the PV is now rotating the correct way :D.

I will put all this together in one thread along with the CAT removal and wire earthing when i find the time.  B)

Vez.

Sorry to bump up this thread again, but...

It doesn't move much does it ? nowhere near as much as the others in the vids on here! Yet the bike still pulls to 80mph with relative ease.

Another thing i noticed with my actual powervalve aswell: When i line up the powervalve to manual specs and feel up the exhaust port,the side furthest away from the piston sticks out proud of the port by about 3mm ? The side closest to the piston is totally flush!

Definately different from the 2005 plate dt i pulled apart the other day?

What ya reckon ? :blink:

Sorry to bump up this thread again, but...

It doesn't move much does it ? nowhere near as much as the others in the vids on here! Yet the bike still pulls to 80mph with relative ease.

Another thing i noticed with my actual powervalve aswell: When i line up the powervalve to manual specs and feel up the exhaust port,the side furthest away from the piston sticks out proud of the port by about 3mm ? The side closest to the piston is totally flush!

Definately different from the 2005 plate dt i pulled apart the other day?

What ya reckon ? :blink:

Well the video is only showing the priming stage of the PV, how far does it move when the engine is running and revved to the power band?

Are the pv cables overt tightened ? it looks a little lethargic to me.

My Pv also has the 3mm step you mention. Can't think why tbh.

Vez.

Edit: Your profile says you have super moto'ed your DT, have you fitted a smaller front wheel?

Well the video is only showing the priming stage of the PV, how far does it move when the engine is running and revved to the power band? 

Are the pv cables overt tightened ?  it looks a little lethargic to me.

My Pv also has the 3mm step you mention. Can't think why tbh.

Vez.

Edit: Your profile says you have super moto'ed your DT, have you fitted a smaller front wheel?

Never thought at the time to try revving the engine(i will try though), but even at this initial stage it doesn't look 'right' .

Yeah the bike is supermoto'd so has the 17" front and rear...

Image1063.jpg

Never thought at the time to try revving the engine(i will try though), but even at this initial stage it doesn't look 'right' .

Yeah the bike is supermoto'd so has the 17" front and rear...

Image1063.jpg

Nice looking bike B)

Have you changed the speedo along with the wheel? I ask because the speedo will showing a higher speed than you are actually getting if its the original DTR one.

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online