RXS100 Dead

spudhed
This post is 5002 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

on tuesday i bought an rxs100 as i desperately need transport, looked in very nice condition and all seemed ok, only has 17k on the clock and had a full 12 months mot, but on its second run out it started to splutter after about 3 miles then cut out, it now wont start anymore, either by kick or bumping it, ive taken the carb off and checked it out, it was all clean as a whistle but still no joy starting it, theres fuel, oil the airbox is clean, having eliminated all this im guessing i need a full engine rebuild or new engine, just wondering if im right, i may not have a chance in hell of fixing it but at least i may be able to diagnose the prob

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

It sounds electrical to me... are you getting a apark?

It sounds electrical to me... are you getting a apark?

I agree electrical or timing out - unless the electronic iginition as packed up.

:D

is there too much air in the fuel tank?

One of the primary problems for spluttering to a stop with an easy fix ;) .

You have tried a new plug haven't you.

sadly the plug is one of the things i havent tried, due to it being recessed into the top block i havent found a spanner to get it out yet, but id always thought plugs dont just die outright and if it was that it would have tried to go at least once (its backfired once or twice trying to bump it but thats it) but as i said my mechanical knowledge is pretty limited so i may be wrong. and by air in the fuel tank im guessing you mean is it out of juice, its not, ive made that mistake FAR too many times, i put a fiver in as i took it out the day it died, oil is full too

i also read a few other posts last night and saw one where someone complained that their rxs only managed about 55mph, he was told he should rebuild and that was about what i was getting out of it in the very short time it was going, so im guessing its the piston/rings, unless it is electrical but the dash lights are fine and the headlight and others were when it was running (they dont come on now, i think the battery is too flat) but wouldnt it still bump if it was electrics/battery related, oh and the battery and flasher relay were replaced at its last mot on 11th march so it shouldnt be the battery

if it is that it needs a rebuild itll be going back to ebay as i cant afford to have it fixed (last 2t rebuild i had done cost me £300 and thats not much less than i paid for the bike) but if anyone here wants to get first dibs in youre more than welcome, just send me a message or reply on here

sadly the plug is one of the things i havent tried, due to it being recessed into the top block i havent found a spanner to get it out yet, but id always thought plugs dont just die outright and if it was that it would have tried to go at least once (its backfired once or twice trying to bump it but thats it) but as i said my mechanical knowledge is pretty limited so i may be wrong. and by air in the fuel tank im guessing you mean is it out of juice, its not, ive made that mistake FAR too many times, i put a fiver in as i took it out the day it died, oil is full too

i also read a few other posts last night and saw one where someone complained that their rxs only managed about 55mph, he was told he should rebuild and that was about what i was getting out of it in the very short time it was going, so im guessing its the piston/rings, unless it is electrical but the dash lights are fine and the headlight and others were when it was running (they dont come on now, i think the battery is too flat) but wouldnt it still bump if it was electrics/battery related, oh and the battery and flasher relay were replaced at its last mot on 11th march so it shouldnt be the battery

if it is that it needs a rebuild itll be going back to ebay as i cant afford to have it fixed (last 2t rebuild i had done cost me £300 and thats not much less than i paid for the bike) but if anyone here wants to get first dibs in youre more than welcome, just send me a message or reply on here

Plugs can just die, i had one fail just as i was pulling in front of a truck i was overtaking, 2 strokes are dirty engines no matter how you look at it and as a result have bits of burnt oil and bits of carbon floating around. This leads to something called whiskering where a bit of rubbish has briged the gap at the plug. Stops the engine cold as it causes a misfire then the plug wets and thats it. Never run again till the plugs cleaned.

You need a plug spanner to have the plug out and check the spark. No point checking it with another plug due to the obvious fact that you don't know if your plug is the problem.

As a rule on a 2stroke especially older ones you should have a plug spanner and a spare plug with you all the time, i do.

As far as it goes 55mph isn't all that slow for a 100cc bike. Good ones will do more but its by no means an indicator of terminal engine issues.

cheers mate ill have to look into getting a plug spanner over the weekend and hope thats the prob, the guy who stopped on the lovely zx9 and helped me try bumping it said it sounded like it was misfiring so maybe thats it, guess i wont know until i check it out though, thanks again for the help

took the plug out and gave it a clean, it started for a second then promptly died again, so it may be savageable, however i think im going to sell it on all the same, this experience has stirred up some memories as to why i really shouldnt own a bike, so far i havent owned a single vehicle that didnt die in some way in the first week and never a solid month without a breakdown (well ok the nc29 made one month)

but for some reason having the past year off biking trying to scrape together the cash for a new one, id forgotten these regular woes and the major stress that comes with it, and now im thinking "do i really need to let myself in for all that grief again" and i think the answer is no, ive accepted the fact that im no mechanic so until i have a job where i can afford to pay one regularly ill be sticking to the old shoe leather

sorry for the slightly depressing mini rant there and many thanks to those who have helped out, and if anyones interested i should soon have a running rxs100 for sale, or i hope so

took the plug out and gave it a clean, it started for a second then promptly died again, so it may be savageable, however i think im going to sell it on all the same, this experience has stirred up some memories as to why i really shouldnt own a bike, so far i havent owned a single vehicle that didnt die in some way in the first week and never a solid month without a breakdown (well ok the nc29 made one month)

but for some reason having the past year off biking trying to scrape together the cash for a new one, id forgotten these regular woes and the major stress that comes with it, and now im thinking "do i really need to let myself in for all that grief again" and i think the answer is no, ive accepted the fact that im no mechanic so until i have a job where i can afford to pay one regularly ill be sticking to the old shoe leather

sorry for the slightly depressing mini rant there and many thanks to those who have helped out, and if anyones interested i should soon have a running rxs100 for sale, or i hope so

Ahhh, the modern view of the world, somethings a little difficult so i'll quit.

Buck yourself up man, the amount of sadly's and self defeating trollop in that last post is pathetic.

Ahhh, the modern view of the world, somethings a little difficult so i'll quit.

Buck yourself up man, the amount of sadly's and self defeating trollop in that last post is pathetic.

i have to agree with Cynic on this one......... yes it is hard owning an older bike, but you learn, and what does`nt kill you will make you stronger!

keep the faith and work through it and you will have a bike at the end of it :)

Hi, I had a similar problem today and thought the bike was shagged! However, it was purely inexperience of biking that caused the issue! As the RSX has no gear selection indicator, I had foolishly left the bike in a high gear (about 3rd or 4th I think). Anyway, tried starting it up assuming it was in 1st or 2nd but every time I pulled off it stalled.

Eventually, I remembered my CBT trainer saying that you sometimes can't get down the gears if left in high at a stop easily. To remedy you have to click down the gears on the biting point of the clutch. I did this and got it down into 1st and everything was fine after that!!

• 4 weeks later...

on tuesday i bought an rxs100 as i desperately need transport, looked in very nice condition and all seemed ok, only has 17k on the clock and had a full 12 months mot, but on its second run out it started to splutter after about 3 miles then cut out, it now wont start anymore, either by kick or bumping it, ive taken the carb off and checked it out, it was all clean as a whistle but still no joy starting it, theres fuel, oil the airbox is clean, having eliminated all this im guessing i need a full engine rebuild or new engine, just wondering if im right, i may not have a chance in hell of fixing it but at least i may be able to diagnose the prob

my rxs had a severly scored piston and barrel before i re bored it and it ran shitty but they will go til the

bitter end .they tend to drink petrol and oil in this poor state. check with a new plug is best option.check the air screw is out at least 1.5 turns since you cleaned carb it might be set in correctly.google for ideal set up. good luck.

• 3 months later...

my rxs had a severly scored piston and barrel before i re bored it and it ran shitty but they will go til the

bitter end .they tend to drink petrol and oil in this poor state. check with a new plug is best option.check the air screw is out at least 1.5 turns since you cleaned carb it might be set in correctly.google for ideal set up. good luck.

lol my rxs is unrelyable as hell i allways carry a sparkplug and spanner with me everywhere, i seem to get through a spark plug a month. however i wouldnt trade it for the world its unmodified and can comfortably hit 80mph. i rode a new 4 stroke prior to this but now i think 2 strokes are so much better, easy to work on as the engines are so simple.

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online