To buy or not to buy?

SRJ999
This post is 5103 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hi guys,

It's been a looooong time since I've posted in here but, having got rid of the TDM (much against my will), I'm now considering alternatives to help get my fix back.

To that end, I have been offered a pre-Divvie XJ600 C, 1991 vintage with 8 month's ticket and 20000 miles. It's at the wrong end of the country but is cheap (£550), so becomes affordable, even for a pauper such as I.

Has anyone got any knowledge of this model or opinions about it? Any weak points I should be aware of? For that price, I'm not expecting a concourse machine. However, I'd like a bike that at least had a bit of go in it, plus something that isn't too small for my long legs. This has a seat height only 1.5 inches lower than the TDM and a top end of about 120 I think, so should do for now. So long as there are no known gremlins, of course.

All comments welcome. Ta.

Hopeful (naive?) Steve

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

:welcome: back mate

can't help with the query but one should come along in the very ear future

Thanks for the offer, Riker but the Radian isn't really what I'm after. I think the XJ may be a goer, though; even if I decide to get rid of it after a few months, I think I'd get my money back.

Hi Steve,

Shouldn't have any real problems. I bought my dog-eared one off ebay and it wasn't long before it was back on the road. At 20k your engine should be cool as a cucumber and there doesn't seem to be much else I've heard wearing out bar the usual fork seals etc. Mines done 55k and still sounds sweet.

The tank can leak along the bottom edge if its showing signs of any rust inside, I got a mint replacement off ebay for £25. Coils sometimes give up, but it's an easy fix. I took the fairing off mine to give it a naked front end courtesy of an RD350 headlight swap. Looks well but you pay for it at high speed with more buffeting. I'd like the option to adjust the bars myself, being lanky as the course adjustment only gives two options at best and I can't crouch much.

Handling's good, mpg's good and generally its a bit of a good hoot. Seat feels a bit high by today's road bike standards and the skinny 18" tyres do that twitchy thing on white lines at speed.

You'll have a laugh. It feels a bit 'late 80s' but it's a good all rounder and still cuts the mustard at the lights.

Have fun.

Craig

Thanks guys. Like I need an excuse to buy a bike...

I hope to be picking it up Thursday afternoon. I'll let y'all know how it goes.

• 2 weeks later...

Sooooo...

The long journey was made from Lakeside, where my mate Mark picked me up, to Batley. It pissed down most of the way but spirits were high. We were tired when we arrived and the bike looked not much less tired.

The bad points:

1. A fecking HUGE dent in the tank. It's creased and the paint's peeled off locally.

2. Some minor cracks in the plastics (fairing, clock surround).

3. A tear in the seat.

4. A badly hand-painted frame (looks like someone has used Hammerite or underseal, brush-applied)

5. The alloy fittings are badly pitted and oxidised.

6. Throttle action is a bit sticky/stiff. Hopefully, use and a copious amount of oil down the cable will help there.

The good points:

1. It fired up first time. From cold (we checked before pressing the button).

2. New chain & sprockets, plus decent tyres (but 18" wheels? Oh boy).

3. New fork seals, no undue bounciness to either front or rear sussie units.

4. Head races seemed fine. No undue movement or notchiness that we could feel.

5. New brake pads. New braided front brake lines (original rear lines - need to replace. Maybe)

6. MoT until the end of October 2010. No tax, though.

7. Handling was ok, at least for the short trip I took it out on.

On reflection, we decided that, while it's not the prettiest bike we'd ever come across, we had to remember that it WAS 20 years old and, for £500, we were never going to see a concourse-winning example. Once over the initial shock, briefly tested the bike and allowed some realism in, I handed my wad over to Shane. Mark strapped the bike onto the trailer as I checked over the papers.

As we were leaving, Shane called us back. "Do you need a workshop manual? It's no use to me." I'd checked online and the Haynes manuals are generally about £20, so naturally, I took it out of the garage. See? Even a little result can bring a smile.

As I said; she ain't pretty. In the short term at least, there'll be no major money spent. However, if I really enjoy the experience, come winter, I'll look to stripping her down and tarting her up. I'm just excited at the prospect of riding again.

One more thing - any recommendations on cleaning oxidised alloy fittings? (I'll post elsewhere on this matter, too).

Hi Steve,

Welcome to the 'Old XJ Club!'

Yeah those old alloy bits are a dog. I've tried everything from chrome cleaner, wet n dry to toothpaste. I think I might get mine chromed as the foot peg hangers and grab rail just shout out for it.

Clutch has just started slipping a bit, I think screaming from the lights like a loon has reached payback time.

Craig

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online