Yamaha rxs 100 running issues....again!!!!!

Reesy
This post is 4364 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

My bike was running great untill this week. This is going to be a long one sorry. :(

It started on friday, I took my bike to work for the first time. But in order for me to get to work I have to go up a very steep incline. The bike was going great, but just as I was coming to the top of the incline the bike started spluttering and then eventualy cut out. I waited about 20 seconds, and the bike started again with no prblem at all. It got me the rest of the way no problem. But on the way home coming up the otherside of the incline, the same thing happened again.

When I got home i took the carb apart and found a little bit of dirt in there, but i also discovered the float setting where wrong. Haynes manual says the height should be about 21mm +/- 1mm. The height was actaully set at about 25mm, so it seems that as i was riding up the hill with the revs high, the float was cutting of the fuel early and the engine was using more fuel than the carb could supply.

I changed the setting on the float height and also cleaned out the carb fully, all the jets, needles, float... everything. I even changed the gasket ....again!!!

But when I put the carb back on, the bike wouldnt kick start, so I bump started it. After that the bike would kick start, but only sometimes. I took it for a ride and that seemed to solve the kick starting problem.

But now I have a few little niggles. The bike started from cold with the choke pulled out, but where as before the bike would run for about ten seconds with the choke out and then when I pushed the choke in it would idle at at about 1400rpm no problem, it now seems to want to die after about 4 seconds of the choke being pulled out. And the only way to stop this is to push the choke in and rev it with the throttle for a few seconds. It then idle but at about 2200rpm.????

I adjusted the the idle screw and got it down to about 1400rpm, but after riding the bike for a few miles, the idle speed was back up to about 2200rpm again, so again i have adjusted it. But it now struggles to idle from cold and I have to turn the idle screw in again to keep the revs up and stop the engine from dying, but obviously when the engine warms up the idle speed is very high again. So im back to square one. Ive set the air screw setting as per haynes aswell.

Does any body have any sugestions on how to combat this. And also, any ideas on why the bike wouldnt kick start when I first put the carb back on ???

If you have spent the time to read this, then i thankyou very much. It is a long one.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers :)

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

hello to you i also have an rxs running everyday without any problems,but are all your carb rubbers in good order?is the tank clean?

i would have said float height was a problem but its not.i dont know what haynes says about setting the air screw

but if you google there is a definative method there cause i used it 3 weeks ago and it transformed my bike

from being very sluggish to a flyer.hope you get it sorted!

hello as said above i would look at the carb rebber for crack or make sure its back on properly as it sound as though its weak ofter you have had the carb off

Ive checked the carb rubbers and cant see any cracks or splits. And it looks like its on properly. I took the bike to work again today, and it went great......there!!. First of all it started outside work on the first kick, I then switched the engine off and when I tried to start it sgain it was flooded, I had to push start it. Then on the way home the engine was occasionally wanting to die everytime I put the clutch in and came to a stop. The revs were dropping and I could only keep it going with the throttle. And then other times I would stop and it would be on idle at about 2500rpm again ?????

Any more ideas ??????

Is it an old bike ?

It could be the HT lead from the coil to the plug, check to make sure it is in good condition and all conections are clean.

Sounds like the carb is set up a bit wrong though but not to sure yet!

Is it an old bike ?

It could be the HT lead from the coil to the plug, check to make sure it is in good condition and all conections are clean.

Sounds like the carb is set up a bit wrong though but not to sure yet!

It is a H reg so yeah its old. But its only got 3000 miles on the clock. There is agood spark from the plug and the Ht lead looks good fine. And I have set the carb up according the the haynes manual. Ive just come across another post with how to tune the carb properly, so I will do that tomorrow when i get chance to warm the engine. But I have set the float height up properly. Even if I hadnt I cant see how the float height would be causing these probems.

Hmm,

Make sure you have a good flow of fuel and that the tank cap can breath fully.

Blow out all the fuel lines from the tank to the carb.

From your first post of when it happened it sounds like it is a fuel starvation.

Is there a small filter in the inlet spigot of the fuel supply on the carb that might be blocked ?

My bike was running great untill this week. This is going to be a long one sorry. :(

It started on friday, I took my bike to work for the first time. But in order for me to get to work I have to go up a very steep incline. The bike was going great, but just as I was coming to the top of the incline the bike started spluttering and then eventualy cut out. I waited about 20 seconds, and the bike started again with no prblem at all. It got me the rest of the way no problem. But on the way home coming up the otherside of the incline, the same thing happened again.When I got home i took the carb apart and found a little bit of dirt in there, but i also discovered the float setting where wrong. Haynes manual says the height should be about 21mm +/- 1mm. The height was actaully set at about 25mm, so it seems that as i was riding up the hill with the revs high, the float was cutting of the fuel early and the engine was using more fuel than the carb could supply.

I changed the setting on the float height and also cleaned out the carb fully, all the jets, needles, float... everything. I even changed the gasket ....again!!!

But when I put the carb back on, the bike wouldnt kick start, so I bump started it. After that the bike would kick start, but only sometimes. I took it for a ride and that seemed to solve the kick starting problem.

But now I have a few little niggles. The bike started from cold with the choke pulled out, but where as before the bike would run for about ten seconds with the choke out and then when I pushed the choke in it would idle at at about 1400rpm no problem, it now seems to want to die after about 4 seconds of the choke being pulled out. And the only way to stop this is to push the choke in and rev it with the throttle for a few seconds. It then idle but at about 2200rpm.????

I adjusted the the idle screw and got it down to about 1400rpm, but after riding the bike for a few miles, the idle speed was back up to about 2200rpm again, so again i have adjusted it. But it now struggles to idle from cold and I have to turn the idle screw in again to keep the revs up and stop the engine from dying, but obviously when the engine warms up the idle speed is very high again. So im back to square one. Ive set the air screw setting as per haynes aswell.

Does any body have any sugestions on how to combat this. And also, any ideas on why the bike wouldnt kick start when I first put the carb back on ???

If you have spent the time to read this, then i thankyou very much. It is a long one.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers :)

Reading between the lines the problem could just be a slow fuel feed to the carb, there may be a gauze in the fuel tap bowl, or one within the fuel tank itself. pull off the pipe from the carb and run fuel into something...you should have a good flow not a drip...IF it is slow look at the gauzes. Tip lots of these old school bikes had a screw on bowl under the tap, DONT use a spanner and risk rounding it off ...soft metal, use a six sided socket to remove this (usually 10mm) and dont forget there may be one in the tank too if the one in the bowl doesnt cure it.

• 2 years later...
  • Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online