XS500 oil filter

Jordan Mohawk Missiaen
This post is 4956 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

After doing quite a bit of searching, and having the local shop look for a while, I can't seem to find an oil filter for my '76 xs500. I've seen the NOS ones on ebay selling for $40-70, but that is far too expensive for an oil filter in my opinion. I have not been able to nail down a straight answer from what I've read either, it seems there is some type of adapter that you can add to the motor to use current filters, but I can't find any more about it than that, also, the guy at the shop said to try and see if I can rebuild it, but thats about all the info he gave me. It seems yamaha discontinued this filter years ago, and not even K&N has stepped it up and made a replacement...When I bought this bike I had no idea how unpopular it was going to be!

Anyhow, what do other people do when they change the oil filter? Is there a hidden secret filter that will work that I can't seem to discover, or am I going to be stuck buying NOS filters on ebay for the life of the bike?

Rock auto has this listed, but it shows a cartridge filter, and it's a screw on filter on my bike...not really sure where to go from here. Help would be awesome!

Thanks guys (and girls)

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Thanks, but I'm more curious as to what you do. Judging from your name you have an xs500, so what filter do you use when changing the oil?

I bought it two summers ago with a new filter fitted and havent been riding it so much so I have had to change filter yet.

However, I will have to do it this spring since I will change the clutch among other things. But that is a problem later on this spring :)

I have one more spare that i'll have to use sometime this summer, then i'll have to find a replacement. I happen to have the advantage of a spare engine i plan on researching with to find a suitable replacement, or developing an adapter.

NOS ones can be found on ebay, but the guy i was purchasing from for a decent price seems to be out, so you will have to pay more.

I picked up a Fram ph6607 filter, like what was shown in the last link by fatherg9, but I have not tried it yet. I will keep you posted. If this works, it will only be $5 for an oil filter.

I just tried screwing in the PH 6607 and it didn't work for me, the threads didn't match up. This might be because I have a '75 that requires the alternate filter type. Hopefully it works on yours.

I just tried screwing in the PH 6607 and it didn't work for me, the threads didn't match up. This might be because I have a '75 that requires the alternate filter type. Hopefully it works on yours.

Sorry to lead you down the wrong path. I was hoping it would work for all of us with tx/xs 500's

I tried this, too, with my '73 TX500. I haven't been able to find an alternative to the vintage ones on ebay (I did happen to get 3 or 4 of em for pretty cheap.. not the same seller mentioned above though.)

After doing quite a bit of searching, and having the local shop look for a while, I can't seem to find an oil filter for my '76 xs500. I've seen the NOS ones on ebay selling for $40-70, but that is far too expensive for an oil filter in my opinion. I have not been able to nail down a straight answer from what I've read either, it seems there is some type of adapter that you can add to the motor to use current filters, but I can't find any more about it than that, also, the guy at the shop said to try and see if I can rebuild it, but thats about all the info he gave me. It seems yamaha discontinued this filter years ago, and not even K&N has stepped it up and made a replacement...When I bought this bike I had no idea how unpopular it was going to be!

Anyhow, what do other people do when they change the oil filter? Is there a hidden secret filter that will work that I can't seem to discover, or am I going to be stuck buying NOS filters on ebay for the life of the bike?

Rock auto has this listed, but it shows a cartridge filter, and it's a screw on filter on my bike...not really sure where to go from here. Help would be awesome!

Thanks guys (and girls)

Speed & Sport Yamaha shows "aftermarket" filters availiable for about $16 plus shipping. I ordered one for my newly aquired 1974 TX500, using part# 371-13440-09-00. What arrived was one that says "replaces Yamaha 371-13441-90". Haven't used it yet but thread size appears same as one I got off eBay that came (originally) from Beck Alney. The difference is that this one from Speed & Sport is a bit shorter (which should make installation and removal a bit easier).

• 2 months later...

Update: I tried the PH6607 from FRAM...no dice. I had the guy at the local shop (very knowledgeable I might add) look at common and uncommon filters and try to match one up with the one I have, but he couldn't find any that were close...the threads seem to be the problem...I will have to keep looking I guess.

Update: I tried the PH6607 from FRAM...no dice. I had the guy at the local shop (very knowledgeable I might add) look at common and uncommon filters and try to match one up with the one I have, but he couldn't find any that were close...the threads seem to be the problem...I will have to keep looking I guess.

thinking out of the box;

if you can get a wide thread holed oil filter, could you not make a mushroom shaped adaptor with the correct internal thread for the bike, with the external correct for the filter?

thinking out of the box;

if you can get a wide thread holed oil filter, could you not make a mushroom shaped adaptor with the correct internal thread for the bike, with the external correct for the filter?

I previously posted this: "Speed & Sport Yamaha shows "aftermarket" filters availiable for about $16 plus shipping. I ordered one for my newly aquired 1974 TX500, using part# 371-13440-09-00. What arrived was one that says "replaces Yamaha 371-13441-90". "

Well, I've now used the one I bought and it works fine! There's very little room to get the filter into place on these bikes, so a slightly shorter one works well. I previousily got a set of 3 filters from a fellow on eBay which were suppose to fit...but they didn't, even tho they looked almost identical to the original I removed from the bike. The difference was in the shape of the top of the filter...the original was slightly angled off, these from eBay were square and couldn't be fit into the place behind the left side cover (the cover covering the generator and starter and balance chains)without removing the cover...which you don't want to do just to change the filter!. So beware!

• 1 month later...

Looks like you ran into the same situation I did about a year an half ago. I went through the same search and tries as you. I looked for the

replacement adapter, but there all gone and I finally got tried of looking for the "green grass" over the next hill. I solved my problem by

duplicating the original XS500 oil adapter and changing the metric threads to accept the threads of american oil filters. Of course I had

to make the drawings, present them to the machinist so that we where on the same page, have the threads turned and so on. After brushing

up the two cavities and verifying the flatness of the mounting surfaces and making a gasket, I mounted the new adapter. Works like a champ.

I use the M108 filter and can also use the PH6607 and the STP filter of the same size (the last two filters clear the extanded cover of the

drive sprocket area by a whisker but they fit and thread onto the new adapter without a problem (had I spec'd the thread length 1/8 in shorter a

racing pit crew could change the filter in 2 seconds). Total cost of labor about $325.

I wish you luck finding and trying ready made oil adapters, but for me that was a hard road to travel and I probably sent more in

time trying to find a soluation on the web, but give it a try.

I solved my problem by duplicating the original XS500 oil adapter and changing the metric threads to accept the threads of american oil filters. Of course I had

to make the drawings, present them to the machinist so that we where on the same page, have the threads turned and so on.

If you have the drawings done, any chance you'd share? When i got around to it i was going to do the same thing, but if you have it done i'd love to have a local shop make one for me as well. PM me if you're willing to share the drawings.

I know it's been a while, but I wanted to add an update. I ordered the oil filter previously mentioned from Speed and Sport Yamaha...and it worked awesome! I'm going to buy a couple of them next time just in case. I'm surprised the yamaha dealer here didn't know it was a direct replacement. On the box it said 'Replacement for XXXXXXX" (XXXXXX meaning the yam part number for my oil filter which I can't remember because it's late and I've had a few beers after a long day) but that oil filter is a direct fit replacement...Hope this is helpful!

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online