ye old bikers nod

Guest MaD.VeZ
This post is 4970 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Guest MaD.VeZ

What has happened to the reassuring nod bikers used to share when passing one another on the open road? Is it just me or has it all but died out?

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.
  • Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Still happens up here, along with something new that seems to be catching on, for the past month or so I've been aware of drivers beeping their horn-for 5 seconds or more, try it, 5 seconds is quite a long time, anyway, turns out this is a protest at other drivers on their mobiles, tut tut :angry:

Yep, still happens here, it more of a turn your head slightly to the left quickley.

Some even through up the left hand to ya if they overtake you.

Guest MaD.VeZ

Must just be me then. Seen alot of bikers these last 2 days and the only times the nod has been reciprocated is by other L plate warriors :(.

It wasn't the same back in 04 when i first started out on the road, in fact it did my nut in at first because i thought they all knew me or something, until i was informed it was the done thing.

Who here gives the nod to L plate warriors? Could this be why?

Must just be me then. Seen alot of bikers these last 2 days and the only times the nod has been reciprocated is by other L plate warriors :(.

It wasn't the same back in 04 when i first started out on the road, in fact it did my nut in at first because i thought they all knew me or something, until i was informed it was the done thing.

Who here gives the nod to L plate warriors? Could this be why?

I nod to everybody, i have noticed that power rangers are less likely to nod though, and i get far less on the DT than the TDR. If i was a cynic i'd say size matters. <_<

I too nod to everyone, even more perhaps to L platers to give them a boost and to say welcome to two wheels.

I think what is happening is that, when the new L platers these days pass there test and move up to a bigger bike they think they are king of the road and forget that a little nod can go a long way in making a fellow biker feel good.

Thats my view anyway, but sure how do I know what other people might be thinking unsure.gif

i give a nod to most bikers i see coming the other way including L-platers.

i tend to agree that the power-rangers are less likley to acknowledge another riders! (biker-snobs).

i give a nod to most bikers i see coming the other way including L-platers.

Yeh same here, Sumtimes wave ,but not at high speed, cool.gif

i always nod to other bikers regardless of the size of the bike but i have noticed when out on the 125 i get less nods than when i am on the fz.

last year i stopped on the way back from the lakes for a smoke and in 10 minutes three other bikers stopped to ask me if i was ok thinking i had broke down or run out of petrol, can you imagine car drivers doing that ! thats what makes bikers special.

Same here, I always nod to every biker. If I see more than three in a row I usually put my left hand up until the last one.

One time I saw a bike cop coming towards me and wondered what to do, but he beat me to it and nodded, so I put the V's up at him. (only joking. I nodded back, and felt quite chuffed)

By the way, what sort of bikers are Power Rangers?

this is what power rangers look like Mike,

http://media.photobucket.com/image/power%20rangers/Warden_bz/PowerRangersMMPR2.jpg?o=1

its true some are often far too busy showing off or looking 'like a pair of dogz danglies' to acknowledge anyone else 'not dressed up', but the same goes for other biker 'types' who dont nod back-theyre far more important than you, see !

:farmerjohn:

this is what power rangers look like Mike,

Cheers BWJ. Now I know what to look out for. Cant say I've seen any of them in rural Wiltshire though.

On the same subject, when me and the other half were driving to the south coast I kept pulling over to the left to let bikers overtake, they, like me, would always say thanks by raising their left hand.

On the way back when she was driving she did the same. She was so chuffed that she always does it now.

So. A little politeness by us bikers really does go a long way.

Guest MaD.VeZ

Thanks for the replies  :) 

The majority of bikers i see are the power ranger type, ill just put it down to that and ignore them from now on.

Vez.

I alway nod, as long as it's safe to do so.

I usually find that during the winter months everyone nods or waves/leg out but as the summer months come and 'certain' bike/rider combo's come out of hibernation that statistically less people do it.

Different people have different experiences, I often find that some BMUU GS's (usually the shiny ones) won't wave if I'm on the Tenere (jealousy I would say!) but will if I'm on the XJR !! Everyone waves when I'm on the TTR and it's covered in crap, even power rangers when I pass them on the signle track twisties!!

I find that riders on old or bikes covered in crap are often the most likley to wave/nod/foot out.

i noticed yesterday after a ride out over dartmoor with mart on his TZR less bikers seem to be nodding around here, dunno why,

but it was the same abroad with British truckers, everyone used to wave as they passed even on dual carriageways, but now with the eastern block driver driving uk trucks it seems to have died out, which is a shame, cos it was nice a wave to know things were ok , a couple of flashes of the lights and a thumb down to warn of an imminent dangerous situation, (I:E speed trap.ministry/police checkpoint, accident /standing traffic) and if we had a CB a quick chat to warn of any problems further ahead, this is getting rare now though

merv

By the way, what sort of bikers are Power Rangers?

:rolleyes::D

Next time your out on a sunny day, and a nice very modern, brightly coloured new jap-bike, with a rider in matching leathers, matching bash-hat, matching gloves, matching boots, and a dark visor comes passed you, tell me you wont think of the power rangers :)

:rolleyes::D

Next time your out on a sunny day, and a nice very modern, brightly coloured new jap-bike, with a rider in matching leathers, matching bash-hat, matching gloves, matching boots, and a dark visor comes passed you, tell me you wont think of the power rangers :)

Cheers Pepperami, now I know who they are. I must say then, that the "power rangers" are the ones most likely to nod/raise hand.

I find it's the two wheel cars (Honda Goldwings) that totally ignore me.

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online