Petrol price experiment

barkwindjammer
This post is 4457 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hi all, have a read at this post please, and chip in with your notion of pro's and con's, its spreading so keep an eye on a forecourt near you,

personaly I think it could turn a whisper into a shout, :mellow:

The price of oil is as low as it has been for a while, the oil companies have simply jacked their prices up and the government will not do anything as they rake in extra VAT for every increase.

See what you think and pass it on if you agree with it

We are hitting 114.9 a litre in some areas now, soon we will be faced with paying 1.50 a ltr. Philip Hollsworth offered this good idea:

This makes MUCH MORE SENSE than the 'don't buy petrol on a certain day campaign that was going around last April or May! The oil companies just laughed at that because they knew we wouldn't continue to hurt ourselves by refusing to buy petrol. It was more of an inconvenience to us than it was a problem for them. BUT,whoever thought of this idea, has come up with a plan that can really work.

Will this work ??????????????????

Please read it and join in!

Now that the oil companies and the OPEC nations have conditioned us to think that the cost of a litre is CHEAP, we need to take aggressive action to teach them that BUYERS control the market place not sellers. With the price of petrol going up more each day, we consumers need to take action. The only way we are going to see the price of petrol come down is if we hit someone in the pocket by not purchasing their Petrol! And we can do that WITHOUT hurting ourselves. Here's the idea:

For the rest of this year DON'T purchase ANY petrol from the two biggest oil companies (which now are one), ESSO and BP.

If they are not selling any petrol, they will be inclined to reduce their prices. If they reduce their prices, the other companies will have to follow suit. But to have an impact we need to reach literally millions of Esso and BP petrol buyers. It's really simple to do!!

Now, don't wimp out at this point... keep reading and I'll explain how simple it is to reach millions of people!!

I am sending this note to a lot of people. If each of you send it to at least ten more (30 x 10 = 300)... and those 300 send it to at least ten more (300 x 10 = 3,000) ... and so on, by the time the message reaches the sixth generation of people, we will have reached over THREE MILLION consumers! If those three million get excited and pass this on to ten friends each, then 30 million people will have been contacted! If it goes one level further, you guessed it... ..

THREE HUNDRED MILLION PEOPLE!!!

Again, all You have to do is send this to 10 people. That's all.(and not buy at ESSO/BP) How long would all that take? If each of us sends this email out to ten more people within one day of receipt,all 300 MILLION people could conceivably be contacted within the next 8days!!! Acting together we can make a difference . If this makes sense to you, please pass this message on.

PLEASE HOLD OUT UNTIL THEY LOWER THEIR PRICES TO THE 90p a LITRE RANGE

It's easy to make this happen. Just join this group and get all your FB friends to join or forward as an email to everyone in your address book, and buy your petrol at Shell, Asda,Tesco, Sainsburys, Morrisons Jet etc. i.e.. boycott BP and Esso

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

I agree with this and will post it to a few mates.

We, the consumers should control the price of fuel !!!

Price over here per ltr at the min is €1.32 Thats £1.18 to you lot over there

I remember when it was .87 per ltr and im not that old !

ok so its an idea but the maths is seriously flawed, it assumes that everyone sends this to someone who hasnt recieved it already...so it cant grow anything like the rate as has been suggested. in fact the further it goes on...the harder it will be to 'fluke' someone who has not seen it...pour on that a whole lot of lethargy and... :unsure:

Christmas this old chestnut again,

i have seen this several times over the last few years

right Boycott Esso and BP???? they only have badges on stations, the stations are privately owned and buy the fuel from the fuel companies. there are not many left and a lot of them are struggling, if you want even less fuel stations carry on, i now have to travel 15 miles to find a filling station,

Supermarkets mostly resposible for the demise of the local garage/filling station, where do they get there fuel, guess Esso, Bp. Shell , so i can tell ya then oil compnies will not shit there selves qbout this email tis time around either, Oh boycott the motorway services rip off merchants just pull off into atown and use and indepedent garage with whatever badge, the fuel came out of the same tank as the motorway services so it will not make any diffrence to ya car, and that shell fuel that is supposed to increase the power of your engine?? ok maybe it does but is it worth the 10 p a litre????

Rant over,nearly, Now maybe some of ya will think about your local garage, i am off to morrisons now to get some fue cos we aint got no other choice where i live, well apart froom the mini supermarket with fuel pumps and an Esso badge on the forecourt

Merv

some good points made, think you've got the most relevant OG - lethargy

thats 2 yays, and 2 nays so far

sorry bwj but i am with mervin on this the struggle to find a garage in rural areas is now spreading to urban areas,this is an old idea seen on a few sites have to be an nay from me not lethargy just common sense i dont want to have to spend half a gallon trying to find a petrol station to fill up a 2 and a half gallon tank. :blink:

sorry bwj but i am with mervin on this the struggle to find a garage in rural areas is now spreading to urban areas,this is an old idea seen on a few sites have to be an nay from me not lethargy just common sense i dont want to have to spend half a gallon trying to find a petrol station to fill up a 2 and a half gallon tank. :blink:

Er me too, 12 mile round trip for fuel (bike only does 70 odd to a tank :o ) if i go to the nearest, a sainsbury's, then its a Tesco's next. The pumps in the village garage dried up a decade ago.

So the general concensus, so far, we're being force-fed

I wouldn't mind betting those petro chem companies are now so big they can make or brake the government let alone us. WE are by nature selfish. So WE want to go where we want to, when we want to. Same as fags. Don't matter what it costs the greater part of the great unwashed will pay it.

Thank the credit card, people don't see what they are spending any more. People ask why i work where i do, "cos its close" gets me funny looks but the less time and fuel i spend on getting to work the happier i am. There are drivers who run from our yard travel 30 odd miles each way. Plenty travel further.

They look at me like i've got 2 heads when i say i'm on 10-15 quid a day more than they are.

So the general concensus, so far, we're being force-fed

Well folks what can i say i live on an island am self employed and run a transit van and a vauxhall corsa as well as my R6 and we only have 1 supplier to island BP, :angry: put diesel in van yesterday and its wait for it :o £1.29.3 Petrol is £1.26.5 at least Dick Turpin wore a mask

Aye, but if we all do nothing, then nothing will change.

Some mad scientist once said "the definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting a different result"

Wouldnt it be nice, thaat in years to come children would say that it was our generation that turned the big fuel companys arround and stopped them ripping people off.

smile.gif

its the bloody government that are riping ya off mate, UK fuel is the cheapest in Europe before duty, even brittany ferries french owned and french through and through buy their fuel in the UK duty free cos it is cheaper than france,

and the government are squandering the chance to earn thousands in duty everyday by keeping the fuel price so high,

i have not filled the truck up in the uk for 5 years now always have enough to get in and out,Go too dover and see how many trucks come in, every one full of fuel, they do not buy anymore fuel if they can help it, they will transfer it between trucks with one going out too prevent buy fuel in england,

I remember when the diesel in the UK was cheaper than europe every garage near a ferry port was full of foreign trucks filing when they arrived and before they left, this is how much that bunch of monkeys that should not be allowed to organise a piss up in a brewery are doing to this country

I agree with ya Mervin

our goverment (maffia) do the same. Trucks fill up in northern ireland to get cheeper fuel and no vat. They loose thousands in vat every day.

Me thinks the goverments are all in with the oil companys to keep prices higher all-round as they all cash-in in the vat at some stage.

Its like the goverment and the big building contractors they both lookout for eachother as they both make money off of eachother.

They wright off all there big loans (NAMA) and guess who has to pay for it all------ we do, the ordinary good honest working people.

Guest MaD.VeZ

With fuel duty at 50.35p per litre and VAT at 17.5% then i think the government are the ones making the real money not the fuel companies.

In reality if your fuel is say £1.15p/l, you are paying roughly 53p a litre before tax(my math maybe out) which i think is pretty cheap considering the effort gone into getting the fuel to us.

Getting very political on here lately :mellow:

In a free market economy, the only power customers have to force down prices is to use their feet, literally in this case!

You can stop buying fuel, that's the only way to 'force' prices down, if there is no demand at all then the fuel companies might listen, if there is demand in one area then the companies will just move the fuel around. There are only a small number of refineries in the UK and all fuel comes out of them, that we use here in the UK.

Problem is, companies have to sell at a price that returns a profit, if they don't they won't be around long and that's bad for competition (resulting in prices then going up!).

The other thing to consider is Oil, it's a finite rescource and it's running out..... So the fuel companies are funneling loads of cash into alternatives. It makes good business sence, you have to have something to sell to survive. It's not a bad think for the future but it does need funds to happen.

Tax, now this is a real bug bear for just about everyone. The percentage of duty is bad enough, but to then add VAT onto the duty is sickening, a tax on a tax... so for every £0.01 Duty that goes on, it equates to £0.0117 at the pumps, not a bad way to swell your coffers.

So the Governement could do the decent thing and stop this double taxation, but the problem is they cannot afford too. The country would not be able to pay it's debts, the pound would crumble even more (putting a certain end to any holidays you all had planned), the country would loose it's credit rating and it would then have to pay more to meet it's debts, sort of a ever descending spiral. It's too late to do anything about it, and we are going to have to face upto the fact that we are all going to be taxed more in order that the counrty can recover - no matter what happens in May. Had government policy be a little tighter on the banks we might not be in this possition.

I rememmber an election slogan from years ago "Labour isn't working", funny how thing go around in circles init ?? (BA on strike, unemployment up, Raliworks planning strikes.......)

yeah the government stuffed us up big time and now we are all paying for it!! if they turned to the banks and said "get stuffed! u made ur bed now lie in it!" then we wouldnt be in this mess! but we are so unless every body in the uk stops buying fuel then it wont decrease and we all know thats not gonna happen! think guy forks had a good idea! i say boooooooooo!

yeah the government stuffed us up big time and now we are all paying for it!! if they turned to the banks and said "get stuffed! u made ur bed now lie in it!" then we wouldnt be in this mess! but we are so unless every body in the uk stops buying fuel then it wont decrease and we all know thats not gonna happen! think guy forks had a good idea! i say boooooooooo!

Not the government, the banks. They certainly made their bed, from YOUR money. The government had no alternative, all banks would have gone down!

DAB

• 1 year later...

We are hitting 114.9 a litre in some areas now, soon we will be faced with paying 1.50 a ltr.

Well Barkey,,,,,, here we have gone over and above that !

We are now paying €1.58 a ltr

Im with all the cynics on this one. Doesnt matter whether its gas/electrickery/petrol, the less you try to use the more the price goes up as BG(big business)will still seek to maintain its profit on ivestments.

Peak oil passed? Not convinced. Marketing ploy to slow down rate of consumption while mainting high price by making us think its running out. Huge resources still left, but the chinks have spanked us in africa buy buying up most of the reserves.

Huge resources as yet untapped in antartica, but larerady the land is carved up and owned by countries/companies. Just another couple of degrees will free it all up

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online