88 XT350 Not Starting! HELP!

This post is 976 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hello,

First post and visit at this forum.

I just took my XT350 out of storage from winter and I cant get it to start. I drained the old gas and put in some fresh stuff and just cant get it to fire. I dont know much about motos mechanically but something def doesnt feel right when I try to kick start it. It almost seems to "easy" when kicking down the starter.

Anyone have any ideas what I need to be checking?

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Hello,

First post and visit at this forum.

I just took my XT350 out of storage from winter and I cant get it to start. I drained the old gas and put in some fresh stuff and just cant get it to fire. I dont know much about motos mechanically but something def doesnt feel right when I try to kick start it. It almost seems to "easy" when kicking down the starter.

Anyone have any ideas what I need to be checking?

I have the same problem if I let the bike sit for a while. There are a couple of things you can do considering the bike will run but is hard to start. The first thing is to lay the bike over on the left side until fuel runs out of the carb overflow. I then pull the choke and kick it over about 10 times. After that I turn on the ignition and try to start her.. Now if that still doesn't work try some starter fluid. Take the right side cover off. Look in there at the air intake, its in the middle just behind the wheel. Now squirt some starter fluid in there. Now with the choke and ignition on try to start er. That should do it considering you have spark, fuel and compression. It isn't hard to kick over. In fact it's pretty easy. Also remember the ole 350 is cold blooded. Keep the choke on for a while.

Hope this helps

Gary

It wont start with no compression. Take the plug out and put a little oil into the cylinder, this will seal the piston rings and restore compression.

sounds like sticking rings ,do what oldgitonabike says to restore compression and it may fire up , but if it happens again it could be the head and barrel of for futher inspection

These guys maybe right. Do the simple stuff first. You can always tear into the motor if you have to. Remember there is a compression release on the 350. This will make it apper that the compression is low. If it ran when you put it away it didn't wear in storage. Yes the rings could be sticking but try tilting the bike and then starter fluid first. Most of the time its the simple stuff. Again they can be right but if you try what I suggested it costs nothing, not much work and it just may start. Of course no one knows the the condition of the bike but it sounds exactly what mine does when I let it sit. Even a week or so. The engine is pretty bullet proof. Not to say there isn't something wrong but if it ran last year I would bet it will this year.

• Thanks 1

• 11 years later...
On 3/19/2010 at 3:33 PM, thumbs said:

These guys maybe right. Do the simple stuff first. You can always tear into the motor if you have to. Remember there is a compression release on the 350. This will make it apper that the compression is low. If it ran when you put it away it didn't wear in storage. Yes the rings could be sticking but try tilting the bike and then starter fluid first. Most of the time its the simple stuff. Again they can be right but if you try what I suggested it costs nothing, not much work and it just may start. Of course no one knows the the condition of the bike but it sounds exactly what mine does when I let it sit. Even a week or so. The engine is pretty bullet proof. Not to say there isn't something wrong but if it ran last year I would bet it will this year.

This worked for me! Thanks so much!!!!!!

I had been riding for 2 hours and then the I had to turn on the reserve tap. But I couldn’t get it started again.

but after Laying it on the left side for 3 min and then run starting worked for me.

thanks again!

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online