78 xs400 has 'expanding brake' or disc rear brake?

armyofda12mnkeys
This post is 5153 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

My bikes in the shop and had some rear brake issues. So I wanted to research it a bit... I saw on bikez.net that my bikes has a 'expanding' rear brake...

not sure what that means... i was just curious what kinda system my bike has. I think there is a fluid container thing on the right side of the bike near the back, so i assumed before it was disc,

but not sure anyway since i saw the words 'expanding brake'.

Thanks!

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

My bikes in the shop and had some rear brake issues. So I wanted to research it a bit... I saw on bikez.net that my bikes has a 'expanding' rear brake...

not sure what that means... i was just curious what kinda system my bike has. I think there is a fluid container thing on the right side of the bike near the back, so i assumed before it was disc,

but not sure anyway since i saw the words 'expanding brake'.

Thanks!

sounds like a brake shoe system.

sounds like a brake shoe system.

Hey drewpy,

you got a 78 xs400, so assuming you know what it is ;).

P.S. i was looking at some tools I may need in future to take apart my engine, and split/put back together the crankcase,

(currently opening my friends old 85 Ninja engine and realized I may need the following tools for splitting his engine and later my own XS engine),

I was wondering if you have used any similar tools on yer XS400 engine, or you would use a nonspecialized tool for each of these operations:

Tusk Clutch Holding Tool

Tusk Crankcase Splitter/Separator

Tusk Crank Puller/Installer Tool

Tusk Flywheel puller (comes in 24mm and 27mm, not sure which to get since my mechanic currently has my manual ;) )

Sometimes I think that Bikez is put together by non-bikers......the '78 XS400 has both rear discs (400E, mag wheels) and rear drums (4002E, spoke wheels). Photo on Bikez is of 400E, and you can see rear disc. B)

Hey drewpy,

you got a 78 xs400, so assuming you know what it is ;).

2a2 models got disks all round. the se's had drum rear which got the "expanding rear brake" which was via rod. the resevoir indicates you have a hydraulic system and a disk rear brake

P.S. i was looking at some tools I may need in future to take apart my engine, and split/put back together the crankcase,

(currently opening my friends old 85 Ninja engine and realized I may need the following tools for splitting his engine and later my own XS engine),

I was wondering if you have used any similar tools on yer XS400 engine, or you would use a nonspecialized tool for each of these operations:

Tusk Clutch Holding Tool

Tusk Crankcase Splitter/Separator

Tusk Crank Puller/Installer Tool

Tusk Flywheel puller (comes in 24mm and 27mm, not sure which to get since my mechanic currently has my manual ;) )

i've used none of those tools, and got by with a puller for the stator, and putting the bike in gear to hold clutch ( with a rag between teeth)

I'm sure the job would go easier if you had those tools

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online