xj700 engine swap

a1dusty
This post is 4969 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

i have an 86 xj700 maxim , i`m taking the engine out to replace all seals and plate (she runs lovely so won`t mess with her to much), whilst i`m doing that i will fit another engine so she don`t hav to be off road .

a friend of mine has an xj900 pre diversion engine he said i can have , i have been told these go straight into my frame hmmmmm , i`m not 100% sure about this so does anyone out there know ?

keep safe dusty

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Hi a1dusty,

Not too sure about the Maxim as it was not a UK model, but a friend of mine tried a similar feat with an XJ750 and XJ900. The engine fitted in the frame fine, sure, but the carbs/airbox were a right old game (i.e they didn't fit !!). So you may well have similar issues with your Maxim.

Best regards, IO.

Hi a1dusty,

Not too sure about the Maxim as it was not a UK model, but a friend of mine tried a similar feat with an XJ750 and XJ900. The engine fitted in the frame fine, sure, but the carbs/airbox were a right old game (i.e they didn't fit !!). So you may well have similar issues with your Maxim.

Best regards, IO.

hi io

thanks bud , was hoping to get away with using me 700 carbs , will hopefully give it a go

this weekend .

thanks again

dusty

• 5 months later...

hi io

thanks bud , was hoping to get away with using me 700 carbs , will hopefully give it a go

this weekend .

thanks again

dusty

You could probably use the 700 carbs, but they need to be rejetted to compensate for the increased amount of airflow / fuel consumption...

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online