dt175 speedo. same as the dt 125?

little dave
This post is 5141 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

i just ordered a speedo from a 1974 dt125 to go on mt 74 dt175. i probably should have asked here before i ordered it, but are they compatable?

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Without a parts list I couldnt be certain but I would imagine they are.

Why not go onto Bikebandit and compare their stock numbers for both these bike's speedo's?

.........But I have to ask why did you not order a 175 speedo?

I imagine this is because they are unavailable so does that mean they are different?

fingers crossed.

Anyway Dave what happened, something to do with the lens flying down the freeway? :o

i just ordered a speedo from a 1974 dt125 to go on mt 74 dt175. i probably should have asked here before i ordered it, but are they compatable?

DT175 Speedometer part #: 438-83570-31-00

DT125 Speedometer part #: 444-83570-41-00

Will it work? Yes, but will it be accurate?

I'm thinking the magic fairy dust inside the housing might be a little different...possibly to compensate for different speedo cable gearing in the front wheel, and maybe a different front rim size too.

Without a parts list I couldnt be certain but I would imagine they are.

Why not go onto Bikebandit and compare their stock numbers for both these bike's speedo's?

.........But I have to ask why did you not order a 175 speedo?

I imagine this is because they are unavailable so does that mean they are different?

fingers crossed.

Anyway Dave what happened, something to do with the lens flying down the freeway? :o

the speedo for teh 175 was almost $300 for nos.

the 125 nos was $89 so if it dosent work i can resell it possibly to somebody here.

the only reasonable used 175 speedos were metric. and i found one mph speedo that was crusty as all get out.im not wanting to try and convert from kph with "the plod" behind me

anyhow, the lens fix worked, but i decided that when i remounted it to add a washer under the mount pins so that it didnt wiggle as much. as a result the cable pushed against where it screws in everytime that i hit a big bump and loosened the mount nipple. so the inside rotating cup got a little loose and would rub on somthing. i had to take it apart and epoxy the cable mount in place and remove the extra washer that i had used to keep the speedo from vibrating. it worked too. was accaurate and no wobble of the needle for a few weeks.

yesterday, the needle started wobbling again really bad at around 40 mph and dosent stop until 50 mph. that is the worst place to have it not working since i have a 45 minute commute in a 45 mph area. the epoxy is holding so now im not sure whats wrong. also it goes dead if i really acclerate hard. so i figure that its just time to fork out for a new one.

but if the 125 speedo dosent work, i will be looking to buy a speedo for a 175 and to re-sell the brand spanking new 125 speedo. at wich point i may not be as choosy as to mph or kph.

if anybody has one just sitting around please let me know. preferably mph.

EDIT: I just did a little more research and it seems that the 125 and the 175 have the same sized front wheel. also in the photos that i have seen, the speedo looks the same. so i think im in good shape. also, just took the bike out for a spin and my old speedo is working fine again. go figure. ;) im closing in on my first personal 10,000 miles on the bike. in 1000 miles ill be there, if the new speedo works, i may put it aside until i pass that benchmark.

got it in the mail the other day. brand spanking new. and works just the same.the only thing that i seen different is that the new one has a pair of small holes on the bottom that look as they may be there to allow condensation or etc to drain out.

as the rest of you here say: IM CHUFFED!

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online