1974 DT175 ignition problem

This post is 5155 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

I got a 1974 DT175 that had been converted to a dirtbike(no lights or battery). The wiring has been redone and seemed to work fine before, as I had it running with this configuration, but after I've spent some time fixing various things on the bike(but not messing with the electrical system other than changing the spark plug), I can't get any spark. Can anyone tell me what electrical component could have failed or where the problem might be?

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

I got a 1974 DT175 that had been converted to a dirtbike(no lights or battery). The wiring has been redone and seemed to work fine before, as I had it running with this configuration, but after I've spent some time fixing various things on the bike(but not messing with the electrical system other than changing the spark plug), I can't get any spark. Can anyone tell me what electrical component could have failed or where the problem might be?

More info needed, are you still in dirtbike mode, no keyswitch, no kill switch? no battery?

Did you try several spark plugs?

Yes, It's still going to be used as a dirtbike, with no battery and no key switch, but I'm keeping the engine kill switch, and this worked a few weeks ago just as it is. I tried several spark plugs and got no ignition, so the problem must be somewhere else in my ignition system.

Yes, It's still going to be used as a dirtbike, with no battery and no key switch, but I'm keeping the engine kill switch, and this worked a few weeks ago just as it is. I tried several spark plugs and got no ignition, so the problem must be somewhere else in my ignition system.

what model is it?

its anybodys guess, could be anything from you leaving the kill switch on or a faulty switch...to coils or condenser down or points shorting or not opening.

what model is it?

its anybodys guess, could be anything from you leaving the kill switch on or a faulty switch...to coils or condenser down or points shorting or not opening.

yes, chech the points. its a good start.

btw, are you gonna use the speedometer? i think i may be needing one.

Well, I fixed the problem. Turns out the points were gapped too wide, which surprised me, since it had already ben running and I hadn't changed the setting. Perhaps the adjusting screw had worked loose. Thanks for your help.

And sorry, I'm keeping the speedo on it.

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online