Buying a track bike

awh18awh
This post is 5144 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hi all

Looking at buying a track bike but am unsure of some of the bikes ive seen.

One that I looked at had no V5 as the bloke said it was a "cat c", i assume this means write off? is this one to stay away from? should i buy a track bike with a V5?

Also if its ok not to have a V5 how can i check its not stolen, last thing i want is to loose my money and have my bike taken by the police!!!

Any info would be great

Thanks

• 3 weeks later...
Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Hi all

Looking at buying a track bike but am unsure of some of the bikes ive seen.

One that I looked at had no V5 as the bloke said it was a "cat c", i assume this means write off? is this one to stay away from? should i buy a track bike with a V5?

Also if its ok not to have a V5 how can i check its not stolen, last thing i want is to loose my money and have my bike taken by the police!!!

Any info would be great

Thanks

Hi mate,

right 1st question, yes a Cat 'C' is indeed a write off, id try if possible to find out what damage the bike sustained, however isnt uncommon for it to be a write off, think alot of track bikes are made from write off's instead of good useable road bikes.

2nd question, a V5 is only any good if you intend to MOT the bike for daylight hours, if not, then it isnt a big deal, again alot of track bikes have no V5, you can however buy it then get a V5 from the DVLA.(i know you can do this with cat 'C' cars so guessing bikes are the same)

3rd question, as far as being stolen is concerned, you can get the VIN/chassis number off the bike and phone the DVLA/Police(i think) to see if it has indeed been nicked.

Hope this helps mate.

Ricky

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online