Cannot get steering lock off

Jinx
This post is 5166 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hi

I have a Yamaha Dragstar 650. I've only recently started riding it regularly. Yesterday I had trouble getting the steering lock off, but with wriggling the key a little I managed to do it. I had the same problem this morning, only I couldn't get the key to turn at all. Someone came out to help, and managed to get the lock off, but had trouble turning the key to get the ignition on. They managed to do it, but I have not gone into work today in case I can't manage to do it myself when I am trying to come home!

Is it likely to be a faulty barrel?

Can anyone help?

Thank you

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Here's how mine works... also how my other half's works, so it must be standard:

Turn ignition off.

Turn bars to full lock left.

Turn key back one click, while at the same time turning the bars back just a little.

The key will click smoothly into Steering Lock and the bars will 'settle' back toward the left again.

To unlock:

Turn the bars slightly to the right, like you did to lock it.

Turn the key forward.

There will be the same smooth, definite click and you'll then be unlocked.

It does take just a little practice to find the right spot sometimes.

Within a week of just riding to work and back, you should find no problems whatsoever!!!

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online